Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Player POT   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
metalbat13

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Since a player's currently listed (scouted) skill values may deviate by as much as 20%, does it follow that his listed POT may also deviate by 20%? In other words, could a player with a listed POT of 12 in reality have a POT anywhere between 10 and 14?
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes and no.

14 POT equates to 112-119 SI. Let's say a guy's potential is displayed at 114 so he's listed as 14 POT. If the 20% variance applies, he could be as low as 92, which I believe is more in the 11 POT range.

At least, that's what I believe. So it wouldn't be 20% of the POT number since that's just the SI bars... but rather 20% of the would-be SI.

But even then, I don't think that's how it actually works. It's more likely 20% of his internal value... the behind the scenes numbers he has that gets scaled down to the 20-bar system.

So in short, I do believe the 20% affects POT, but not exactly how you suggest.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Players Potential can change and he can surpass what he is scouted at.
I have not seen it happen myself yet but Seca (I think) saw it happen and I believe him.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've had that happen to my players (usually just by 1 or 2 SI), but that is actually a slightly different thing.

Steve has done a nice job of realistically fuzzy ratings so that you need to evaluate your players by performance. So yes, I believe the POT is tied directly to the scouting ratings. If you have a POT 13 guy, you should expect to see him cap out between 103 and 111 (although they don't always reach POT even when trained properly). So the revealed SI and POT should match up. The 20% mis-scouting happens on top of those values. So even if your guy shows 15 for Hitting he could be as low as 12 in reality. Scouting is supposed to improve some the longer you have the player (thus why you occasionally see Arm or Range drop) so its probably not really off by 20% after you've had the guy for 5 years. But the maximum amount it can be off is not defined, and my guess would be at least 15% still. Also I *think* this is applied to each rating separately. So your guy with 15 Hitting and 12 Bat Control might really have 12 Hitting and 14 Bat Control.

It all comes down to the fact that you need to evaluate player performance. If you rely on SI or POT as a crutch you are likely to shoot your self in the foot by stacking your team with over-rated players who aren't nearly as good as they look.

Lastly, even good players can perform really poorly before they are fully developed. One more wrinkle... Welcome to the world of baseball evaluation :)

Updated Thursday, February 4 2016 @ 6:29:50 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |