Broken Bat Baseball
Haha. I love this newt:

2023 Tempe .759
2023 Raleigh .784
2024 Tempe .723
2024 Raleigh .794
2025 Tempe .670
2025 Raleigh .733

So in conclusion, you appear to be right. I honestly hadn't noticed that my team OPS had dropped off by 60 points from last season until I started this edit.

It is actually pretty crazy how similar the delta is between your OPS the past three seasons (not accounting for player changes, etc).
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Haha. I love this newt:

2023 Tempe .759
2023 Raleigh .784
2024 Tempe .723
2024 Raleigh .794
2025 Tempe .670
2025 Raleigh .733

So in conclusion, you appear to be right. I honestly hadn't noticed that my team OPS had dropped off by 60 points from last season until I started this edit.

It is actually pretty crazy how similar the delta is between your OPS the past three seasons (not accounting for player changes, etc).

There actually isn't much of a delta at all... last season my offense was horrendous too and lowered from LL5... while Raleigh's rose. Those numbers really don't tell you much in my opinion. Unless last season I played in a tougher half pitching and defensively speaking.

Also this assumes you follow a linear devaluation of skill level and stats compared to percentile. [I.E. an increase from .200 to .240 is not comparable to .300 to .340].

I don't want to get into an argument about statistics but people often just jump on the first set of numbers that seem to correlate. Yes, the dip from 24 to 25 lines up but the previous season does not... how do you explain that?
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Different players on your roster? Certain players gaining in skill? Don't really have the time to evaluate.

I actually think alot of it has to do with average skill at each level. I wish we had more info (or I had the time to make a spreadsheet) about average skills at each level. I actually think the difference between vi->v->iv->III is not linear. It is more of an exponential change. So, if the average (big four) pitcher skill in vi is 45 it is 48 in v, 53 in IV and 60 in iii. Rather than 45-50-55-60.

In addition, I hypothesize that skill level is not linear. So the difference between 20 and 19 is greater than the difference between 19 and 18 and so on. Players like yours with 16-15-15-15, IMO, are worse than players that are 18-12-12-18 even though they have similar overall skills.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Players like yours with 16-15-15-15, IMO, are worse than players that are 18-12-12-18 even though they have similar overall skills.

I've actually come to that same conclusion, as have at least a couple others that I know. If control plus one other of the three pitching skills is used to determine the success of any given pitch, and the numbers are matching up against a batter's skill numbers, then very high numbers in an important skill should win more rolls.

Updated Wednesday, January 20 2016 @ 2:44:14 am PST
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Spoonerific

You should probably drop him since he's hurting your team so much. :)
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I completely agree with this logic of balanced players being at a disadvantage in the sim.

The biggest problem is that Plate discipline doesn't mean much. There isn't too much of a drop off in stamina from pitch count [outside of pitching over 120 pitch from my limited data-- I actually have graphs and spreadsheets from only my team... so small sampling].

If I had my way he wouldn't take pitches and would be as aggressive Doyle but we can't do that. I think that with control being so in demand hurts PD too [guessing at balls clipping the corners is always bad business]. So you fall behind in the count, swing at a worse pitch and head back to dugout.

The problem with all that is, I have no control over knowing who will turn out as a balanced guy or an unbalanced one. Michael's scouting report suggests that 16 Hit [which should be called contact imho] is the lowest potential.

Overall, even at 130 SI, I have drawn the worst version of skills possible.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Actually there are disadvantages to lack of plate discipline, part of the advantage of seeing Doyle first hand is that I can tell you for a fact that his OBP struggles to get above .300 for long stretches of time as there was one point this season where he had somehow managed to have a BA higher than his OBP, I'm not even sure how it happened, but it did. The guy doesn't take walks unless a pitcher is missing by a mile. Personally someone with Randolph's offensive build, with Doyle's skill numbers would be the perfect offensive player.
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
But the way the sim works it is better to hit .270 and slug for .550 than to have a OBS of .330 [or just south of that in Michael's case]. The fact that none of my guys hit for contact well [loads of 16 Hit guys -bad luck on scouting reports yet again-] doesn't help when I get guys on bases.

I am more than convinced that the difference from 16 to 17 is more advantageous than 15 to 16 and of course beyond. this is especially true with Hitting [Contact].

I guess it's time to go with a min field and give no hook to my pitchers and hope for the best in LL4.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Spoon, did you look at Randolph's numbers? While Randolph and Doyle were playing together, Randolph had the better SLG AND OBP and therefore a FAR higher OPS than Doyle 4 of the 6 seasons they were together. Randolph also hit more HRs than Doyle while they were playing together despite lower hitting and power skills. I really do think that PD results in players seeing better pitches and therefore getting better pitches to hit. That said, competing theories can be useful for a multitude of reasons stretching from seeing which has a higher success rate to the fact that there simply aren't enough players with any particular build for everyone to get one, this isn't Oprah.

Updated Wednesday, January 20 2016 @ 10:39:42 am PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's easy to jump to conclusions when we look at a few players. Don't forget there are errors in the scouting reports and quoted skills. Here's an obvious example from my team:

Rasmussen 13/14/15/13 and it says above average slugger.
Rangel 14/14/14/9 no slugging comment. They're about as even as they can be exvept for power.

Rasmussen's career path has averaged in LL V, while Rangel has been around LL IV.

Rasmussen has averaged a homer every 63 at bats. Rangel has bombed one every 32 at bats. Also, he's been a much better hitter all around. It makes no sense until you consider the fact that players can be misrepresented in their profile. Maybe some simply have better agents. ☺

Previous Page | Show All |