Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Draft 8   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
He did have report info- good potential. That combined with no velocity or movement scout could mean cos and control both being above 15.
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh and I got another 11 pot and released him.

Decent start to the season for the draft. These last few rounds have gone as expected.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
potential isn't really a scout. I've gotten "above average" 13s and "good" 11s. I don't pay potential any mind and instead look at the attributes I can expect.

Updated Friday, January 8 2016 @ 3:40:21 pm PST
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I use Gray situationally, but yes. As a SP Gray is only mediocre, but as a long reliever this season just look at his stats above (ERA under 3.00). It also depends where your system is at, for example if you have a minor league system that is fully stocked with two plus pitch pitchers, then he would not be useful. If you are hurting for decent pitching, then yes, he would be a decent guy to bring out of the bullpen, as Gray was a good multi-inning closer while I was in LL V. Regardless, of the list you provided, he was hands down the best in my book.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I haven't had much luck with guys who have ONLY CoS and Control. I'd never take a pitcher with just good potential. Of course I'd never take a pitcher who was wild either. I doubt it mattered too much. You'd probably end up wanting to drop any of those.

Don't worry Crazy, catch and release is pretty typical once you have built your team up a bit. If I keep more than 1 draft pick in any given year I count myself lucky.

At this point in the season I always wait to release on Friday. But I'm 99% sure that I'll be releasing this weeks draft pick (defensive 1B with no power).

Updated Friday, January 8 2016 @ 6:40:25 pm PST
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Perhaps Gray's performance is not the norm, but I don't think it's an outlier either, as I have seen others with just CoS and Control that did alright. It's all about how you manage those types of guys. The other nice thing about the build is that CoS and Control are the last two of the pitching skills to start declining (typically don't decline til 32 or 33) so it is a build that gives you a longer peak.

Updated Friday, January 8 2016 @ 10:41:43 pm PST
Toon Squad

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
For CoS and Control guys, see Pedro Ramirez on my squad. He is a good example of an effective CoS guy.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Dinos slate had 1 player that was potentially an impact player. Unfortunately, he sounded like another 1B. Selected him on the off chance he had enough range to play OF. No dice. He should be a decent 1B for someone.

So continuing the theme of the season. Some decent players drafted, but haven't been able to address any areas of need.

PS - I don't have any trouble with pot only pitchers. And it seems Rock777 does occasionally draft them. :)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I only drafted that guy because all the other options had no overall report. And he got dumped right away. Same reason I drafted this guy. I suppose I could just skip the draft pick entirely, but I was trying to be nice and eliminate some of the chaff.

Updated Saturday, January 9 2016 @ 8:29:13 am PST
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Only 1 good overall guy, so I took him. Will release next friday.

I noticed the chatter about the players that have only a potential rating, and I have one guy thats like that. I only picked him up cuz a) potential and b) low defensive stats. I'm curious to see how he does in training.

Previous Page | Show All |