Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Base Running Settings   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I wish there was a better explanation of how they work because I would have fired a dozen coaches by now if I could. They don't make any sense to me.

There are two cardinal base running blunders from my last game yesterday, one by each team. Mine was a guy trying to score with no outs who was gunned down. That cost me either 2 or 3 runs based on the events that followed. Who is going to risk that with no outs against a 16 arm? Apparently my moronic third base coach.

For my opposition, they were behind late in the game and got thrown out at third to end an inning. No, no, no, no, no. It was against a 17 arm.

I understand these occur occasionally in real life. They happen constantly here and drive me nuts.

Tomorrow I go against an outfield with these arms: center 18, right 19, left 4. How in the world do I use the settings to deal with that?! I can't. I want almost everyone trying to score on the left fielder, but a conservative approach anywhere else. Heck, I even want some guys in certain situations going for third with less than two outs against the left fielder. I can't use aggressive settings, though, because the majority of the balls will not be thrown by Johnny Damon's laughable arm. As a result I mix them up a bit and guess. Inevitably my speedsters will be gunned down by the two real arms, while they relax and fail to challenge the 4.

It's extremely frustrating.

Updated Wednesday, January 6 2016 @ 3:25:08 am PST
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
How in the world do I use the settings to deal with that?

I don't think it is as bad as it seems.

Base stealers have some knowledge of the defense. A base stealer with a default order will make more attempts vs. a poor catcher than against a good catcher.

Its not as easy to observe with base running. A few more moving parts. But I feel its safe to assume base runners also have some knowledge of the defense. On a given setting, your guys should be more aggressive against the 4 arm LF than the other guys.

May be worth noting that guys with an "X" setting can still get extra base hits. Any balls dumped into LF may benefit from his noodle arm.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Logically, x would only get extra bases if the ball wasn't fielded they. Once there is someone to make a throw, they stop advancing. That's my guess anyway.

As for bad decisions... I'm not sure how much the sim values the situation. I think it's mostly random value based on speed, arm, and setting. Guys will probably try to score on no outs the same as they would on 1 or 2 given all other things are the same.

I could be wrong, but if there is in fact situational weight, it sounds like it's not strong enough. I've yet to see a baseball sim that was good at preventing the 3rd out at 3rd scenario and such though.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
For my opposition, they were behind late in the game and got thrown out at third to end an inning.

I see it happen a lot and it is very annoying (especially when my team does this). I don't want to see a runner EVER take off for 3rd with 2 outs in late innings.

Been wondering for some time what to suggest to make the base running and base stealing settings more reliable. Maybe a separate setting for stealing 2nd and 3rd? Maybe settings for run difference or inning?
BadgerBoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I know this thread is a year old....but. I would agree with the last post, is there a way to make it optional for stealing 3rd??

There are waaayyy to many steal 3rd attempts in this game and usually at bad times.

http://brokenbat.org/game/2112731 here is my opponents team basically giving me the game in the last inning with 2 outs down a run.

I have also had this happen multiple times it is very frustrating. Real life the coaches would be tied to a pole and beat...and also fired

Please give us the option to decide if we want to steal 3rd or not.
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
Love the third base coach he is always doing this send runners when no way they can steal 3rd LOL!
BadgerBoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Gonna keep being an advocate for a steal 3rd toggle, had another player thrown out at 3rd w/ 2 outs down 2 runs.

Is it possible to add such a toggle to the game?

Previous Page | Show All |