Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Scouting reports   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've always been curious about the overall scouting reports/ratings. For instance, how could this guy only have a good overall potential rating? When he got the two increases this week I really started trying to figure it out. Everything about his skills shouts very good, right?

Wait a minute. He hasn't hit righties well at all. Granted, he's developed quite a bit this year so that might not accurately reflect his final profile. Still, might the overall rating include the hidden attributes, like L/R split, clutch hitting, etc.? It's the only way I can imagine the above guy getting a good rating.

Anyone else with similar strange overall ratings and theories about them?
Krakonico

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
According to the manual there aren't hidden skills. And also the scouting report isn't a set in the stone, it can vary, it could be an approximation of the real skills of the player, even the actual player's skill are not 100% real.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I've wondered this. I've also wondered if that comment predicted if the player would be top end or bottom end of his potential rating (ie., a good 13 reaching 104 SI, a very good 13 reaching 110 SI).

My research wasn't very scientific. The number of players I looked at was small. And especially with hidden traits, very subjective. But I couldn't find any connection whatsoever.

My take. IRL there is uncertainty in drafting. What you think an 18 year old will be at 24 is not always what the player turns into at 24. In BB a little uncertainty in this verbal comment helps simulate that RL variability.

So "he has good potential" should be read as "he most likely has 12 pot. There is a lesser chance he is 11 or 13 pot. There is a slim chance he has 10 or 14 pot." Once the player is drafted (and you can see the pot bar), the statement has served its purpose and holds no further value.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hmm. I hadn't thought of your last explanation/theory, Seca. I think that seems the most likely. Still, I'm going to keep the file open because I've had two 116 skill guys that were only deemed good. Both of them had worse splits than average, making them not as valuable as they otherwise would have been. As I stated though, that very well may be a premature statement with McKenzie. I definitely hope he ends up bashing righties better than he has so far.

Krakonico, there aren't hidden skills, but there are hidden attributes. The difference is skills can be improved upon, while attributes can't.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think its very possible it is including the hidden traits. I also think that the scout report is weighted differently depending on their initial primary position. Did this guy start off life as a SS? As a SS, his Range value would be pretty low. Mix in low speed and power that is a tick below "decent slugger", and it might be enough to push a SS down into the "good" range. I've also notice that a lot of pitchers with "stamina to pitch all day" are rated highly, so I think the AI considers as much stamina as possible to be a good thing. I consider the whole "good" vs. "very good" to be an indicator of sorts, better than the prospect ratings, but not perfect. I do still pay attention to them though.

EDIT: BTW, I would consider low speed on a SS to be a good thing given how much they need the SI else where. Kind of like lower stamina on a pitcher. So its a guessing game about why the AI is given the "good" vs "very good". I tend to pass on "very good" pitchers who can "pitch all day".

Updated Sunday, January 3 2016 @ 8:47:28 am PST
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The relevation about order of pitchs in the pitch repetoire certainly suggests there may be more than meets the eye about stuff like this.

For every guy I have that fits Rock777's theory tho, I seem to have a guy like Baez. He was "born" a SS with 18 range and 15 arm (fairly well suited to SS?). He seems to have above average base stealing trait and well qbove average clutch hitting. Yet he is a 13 pot with "above average" potential.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
But low power and bat control means he isn't a great hitter. He Ks a lot too.

I really have no idea how the rating is determined. But it could be combination of offensive and defensive ratings and traits. Just because we think he is good, doesn't mean the AI does. It could be that Baez passed all the checks on defense, but lost points for BC, PD, and power? Or it could be weighted in a different way, or Baez may be overrated and the overall rating is a check against that?

Updated Sunday, January 3 2016 @ 3:21:32 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |