Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Stumped (waivers)   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
That pitcher was at the top of the SI list, was young and less than a million dollars. The 1B you posted is R/R, buried in the SI sort, and only a 13 potential, but had 11 in range and arm, which might be too high, especially for a R/R 1b.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I would have passed over him too to be honest. I don't really look for 1B... I just end up turning people from my farm who can't field a real position into 1B :p

I also have a unique situation this year where I'm experimenting with a 23yo who "learned all he can" in the minors early, seeing if he can develop SI starting in the majors at 1B. He's inferior to Temple right now, but with the potential to be close and as a bonus, he's not hurting me too badly so far by being underdeveloped (hitting .262)
Shyfire

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think the main reason is that guys like temple are a dime, two dozen. Players like him aren't too hard to come buy. His build isn't bad but not that dream build and yet again guys like him are a dime a dozen. With the fielding mechanics in the game if people could they would stick a pitcher at 1st, they would and the pitcher probably wouldn't do too bad, fielding wise that is. Most teams don't look for first basemen that look for someone cheap and who can hit and can do a little fielding.

Pitchers are a much more depleted on the market than position players. Its a lot harder to come across decent pitching on the FA market. Most teams don't have good pitching as well and want to upgrade it. Burke has potential to be a top of the rotation starter and put up some good numbers. Its so hard to come across guys like him that once people see him they jump all over him. I look at the pitching market every day but hardly ever look are the position market.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Burke is 29. He's not improving; he's pitching over 5.00 at LL-5. FIP over 5.50. Eight is pretty low stamina for a Starter.

Updated Monday, December 28 2015 @ 7:23:31 pm PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm always happy when other people pick up my guys so I can still watch them and see how they do.

Burke offers the hope of better performance because his skill ratings are pretty good. You've mentioned in other posts that you have a preference for offensive players. Others might feel their defense can make the difference.

Updated Monday, December 28 2015 @ 10:35:00 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Huh? Its a trade of offense and defense... not offense and pitching...? I'm not sure I get what your referring too? Temple is actually a really good defensive first baseman. Burke is 29 and has never performed well at any level. How can you say he has potential? I didn't drop Burke due to poor offensive production... Honestly I'm a bit stumped by your post. I don't think I'm reading it right...

Updated Tuesday, December 29 2015 @ 12:29:13 am PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock, I was saying you've said you prefer offensive position players. Therefore, other owners very likely possess better defensive teams. Thus, Burke might do better somewhere else.

The other comment was that he shows good skills. They haven't been doing him much good, but he has shown moderate success a couple seasons (okay, success might not be the right word). I wouldn't be shocked if he put up average numbers for someone. And besides, maybe all those claims are someone looking for a fifth starter or middle reliever. If someone just needs a warm body until younger guys develop, he could fit the bill.

Updated Tuesday, December 29 2015 @ 6:11:25 am PST
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I could see someone with a better defensive squad getting a 3.50-4.00 ERA season or two out of Burke. Half of Haverhill's infielders would only be fit to DH the way I run my team (and I'm sure he'd counter that half of my infielders would be insta-cuts on his roster).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@MukilteoMike - Ah, I understand what you were saying now. That's what I get for reading posts late at night. I knew I was missing something. I would really not call that any success, other than vs. lefties. His FIP just barely crept below 4.50 in one season only (pitching at LL-6). His WHIP has generally been around 1.5. His KK/B ration is around 1. And this year even his VLHB is bad.

@Newtman - If that's the case, I'd hate to see how well my other pitchers would do with a good defense. Other than two underdeveloped 25 year olds I'm experimenting with, most of my staff has ERAs in the 2s and low 3s. That's pitching at LL-3 (Burke is pitching at LL-5). And some people still think 12 POT players aren't good, LOL.

Updated Tuesday, December 29 2015 @ 8:25:17 am PST
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I played in the same league as Hoover a few seasons back they were bad for a LL V/VI team. Can't say whether the team has improved in the intervening seasons, but I do remember their defense made my lineup look like the 1927 Yankees.

Previous Page | Show All |