Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Statistical minimums   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
One of the things I don't like about the current minimums is that you can't really use the leader boards as bragging rights. Right now I have a guy with a .279 batting average on the BA leader board. That's a joke. Especially when I have another guy who is hitting .323 with 15 less ABs who doesn't qualify. In real life the guy with the .323 would be on the board (via the saving grace clause).

Updated Wednesday, December 23 2015 @ 5:13:22 pm PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Saying calculating PA is too cumbersome is just plain silly. It's a very basic calculation. OBP and SLG require more data and those are calculated.
xLee227

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I believe calculating Plate Appearances is simply a matter of adding AB + BB + HBP + SH + SF. Seeing that information is already being gathered, I don't think it should be overly difficult to calculate PAs as well.
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
How is this an argument? It should be plate appearances.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I doubt OBP and SLG are calculated. I would imagine they are stored in the DB. If Steve had to calculate those every time someone loaded a player page it would put a LOT of stress on the server.

The theory is that PA are not stored. If they are not stored, then they would need to be calculated. If they need to be calculated than it would probably be prohibitively expensive to do.

You can certainly argue that PA should be in the DB, but then its a space tradeoff. Is it worth using the DB space for a variable that is only used for determining the minimum threshold for the leader boards.

@xLee227 - But the question is how many times a second will that calculation need to occur. That is where you run into trouble. Remember the CPU is trying to do a bunch of other things at the same time. It also could end up adversely effecting the load time of the leader board page.

Updated Wednesday, December 23 2015 @ 9:57:52 pm PST
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It is a waste of bandwidth to perform a fresh calculation each time... but if the engine itself only generates ABs in its stats, it would be feasible to calculate the PAs off all other available stats after the sim and add this to the database for a one-time calculation instead. This is the reverse of what competitors do: their engines only count PAs and then calculate ABs after the fact and store those values to be displayed on player cards.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Sure, if PA was in the DB then it would be simple. The issue is whether or not Steve thinks its high enough priority to use DB space on a statistic that is only used to determine the leaderboard cut-off when he has something "close enough" that he can use.

I just find that a lot of my starters miss by 10-20 ABs, which is why I was wondering what other folks' experience was. If a lot of our starters are missing qualification by ~25 ABs, then maybe it needs tweaking.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I find that all my guys who don't platoon end up qualifying, and a lot of the guys who do platoon also end up qualifying since I only have one or two different guys most seasons with more guys just playing other positions.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I figured PA was probably in the database, just not displayed. If it's not and space is a concern, an adjustment could be made to reflect the average difference. It appears to me that's roughly 7%, which means it should be reduced from 3.1 to 2.9 at bats per game.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
2.9 would probably be enough to get most of my starters into the qualifying range. Although really I'd rather Steve erred on the side of looser requirements and made it something like 2.75.

Updated Thursday, December 24 2015 @ 2:30:22 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |