Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Cactus / Grapefruit League   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't live in "braves country" so I don't know a lot of braves fans, but the handful I do know all feel pretty hurt by this. Myself, mostly because of what I've heard from them since the trade. How they thought his defense would regress by the end of the contract (when he will be an old man of 31) and how they act like aybar is a much better hitter. Simmons career batting line looks a whole lot like ozzie smith and the old time baseball fans in my area (tiger fans so theoretically they are more objective) 4/5 or so say simmons is a better defender than the wizard.

I'm probably going to cancel my mlb tv subscription for next year and I had planned on making a trip down to see one last game in turner. That won't happen now.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Really hard to part with those home-grown stars. I didn't see a lot of Simmons, but anytime he played the Jays he played up to his reputation.

I thought Atlanta was building towards having a competitive team for the new stadium. Don't really understand this move in that context.

Sounds like Freeman is next. :S
Jynxed

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm pretty much exclusively a Cubs fan now. If they trade Freeman too then I'm done with the team for good. Losing Heyward, Kimbrel, Simmons and Freeman would be too much for me to rebound from even though I could justify Heyward and Kimbrel.
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm the opposite at this point. Trade freeman, maybin, markakis, and anyone else with a pulse. The team is going to be terrible for the next 4 years. Mine as well get something for these guys.

And hopefully after they loose 100 games the next two years liberty media will sell the team and someone that wants to win will buy them.

Until than, go cubies. Already looking at times for a train ride down there and a ball game next year instead of the turner field trek.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I just can't switch to another team, I don't love the game of baseball THAT much. I went through the same apathy in the early 2000s after the breakup of the Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz core. Unlike that time the team isn't going to be competitive. May take longer this time for me to come back though. I have always been thankful that I was too young to remember how bad the Braves were for the mid to late 1980s, unfortunately I am now old enough that I will remember how bad they are now for the rest of my life.

Edit: Freeman now projects to be Dale Murphy, a really good player on a really bad team.

Updated Wednesday, November 18 2015 @ 1:00:48 pm PST
DaveCool

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I remember Dale Murphy, Bob Horner, and Glenn Hubbard. As a Cubs fan I remember when Maddux went to the Braves. I was living in the area so I rooted for the Braves during the Dave Justice, Ron Gant, and Sid Bream days.
Jynxed

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Being raised as a Cubs fan when I lived in Illinois I started rooting for both right before the Braves were good. The problem I have with trading guys like Freeman and Simmons is that they are under contract for reasonable rates until well after the debacle of a new stadium opens.

You have to assume their goal is be competitive by then so trading Simmons for 2 lottery ticket minor league pitchers just makes no sense to me as a fan even though I see what they are trying to do.
DaveCool

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
They would be a good core to build on rather than gamble on prospects.
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Atlanta looks almost like Philadelphia did 4 years ago.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The Phillie project really hasn't born very much fruit yet, they are still well behind the Nats and Mets. My point being, that is an honest, but very discouraging statement to make that the Braves look like the Phillies of 4 years ago...

Previous Page | Show All |