Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> What would you do with this guy?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Start him and have him pinch hit for.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I think I'm in the minority, but I have no trouble carrying a rookie in a back-up role who will only get ~150 ABs per season. I've found they develop just fine. Hebert is a good example. But I have done it (and continue to do it) with lots of players.

The linked player is going to have no trouble reaching his potential. I would definitely have him on the big league roster.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I always try to squeeze as much out as possible, so I get worried about developing players not getting ABs. Last time I ran a rookie as backup, I only saw 3-5 SI gain.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Its situational. If its a 26 year old rookie you just signed who is 25 points from cap, you don't have time to rope-a-dope. If its a 16 pot supersar, you give him the keys to the kingdom. This guy is 24 and 15 points from cap. Time is on his side.

A 5 SI season from scraps and crumbs makes him that much better next season. If thats what he's getting in the majors, I suspect he'd get less misplaced at AAA. The main reason reason (imo) for holding a player in the minors against recommendation is if they are significantly under-trained.

My guys often go from scraps in their first season to vs. LHP in their 2nd to mostly full-time in their 3rd. Not all my players. But it is a common pathway.

Back to the OP - he's not going to get the call as a defensive replacement. I think you'll have more luck with pinch running if you designate an OF to replace. Eg., your RF is quite slow. The linked player would likely see some use running for him. In addition I would try to give him a game here and there.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That guy is a righty, so you could also just platoon him some against lefties. That would give him the occasional game. I would also make sure he got some ABs as a backup for a couple positions against lefties.

I really only leave guys down against recommendation for 2 reasons:

#1 - If I'm trying to get his position training to pop and he is doing fine bat wise (or I don't see him as more than a backup anyhow).

#2 - I planned poorly and have a glut of OFs.

Also, in counter to Li, last time I left a guy who was recommended in AAA he gained 2 points :P

Really as Seca said its very situational. In general I think a guy who is recommended for the majors will do better in the majors as long as he is getting ABs every week. If he gets 0 ABs you minds well leave him down.

Updated Tuesday, September 22 2015 @ 5:38:11 pm PDT
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Is it a bad idea to do a little of both? I sometimes demote rookies who are playing poorly for a week in the minors to see if they can get any further training and bounce back... but don't use them at either level exclusively unless I have no one else in the majors or they're playing well.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Think that's fine. I've had guys I kept on the major league roster during cup season (playing regularly in the cup), and then sent back down till near season end.

I've also done what Rock777 said - kept a rookie on the roster and then sent him back down to AAA on Thursday night if he hadn't gotten any ABs or IPs that week. I'm not convinced that practice is valuable. May even be a little counterproductive?

Again, I think its situational. Makes that aspect of the game quite interesting.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'll elaborate a little. What follows is my theory - its not canon.

Experience comes primarily through IPs and ABs. Somewhere around 200-300 IP and 1500-2000 ABs a player is "experienced" and receives little benefit from additional IP and ABs.

A player has ~40 big league training updates (~ 4 seasons) to acquire this experience. After that period of time the player gets the "doesn't have much room for improvement" message which applies a significant penalty to training and experience gains.

With that as my theory, I have no problem bringing guys along slowly. Rather than slam a rookie pitcher with 200 IP, I often give a small role in their first season. 40 updates is lots of time to get the 200-300 IP in. I've been happier with my results using the slow method with pitchers.

With position players, it can be a little trickier reaching the 1500-2000 AB level in the window. So I think there may be some merit to sending a guy down who didn't play that week (keeps his ~40 update window intact). But IMO they can still be brought along slowly, so long as their workload is gradually increased allowing them to reach the AB threshold within the window.

Worth noting that many players do not need to maximize experience to cap out. I suspect the player linked in the original post will reach his skill limits well b/f 1500-2000 ABs.

Slamming the experience to them does give a better product sooner. If its a monster potential bar, its probably wisest to max him out ASAP to get a superstar on the field. But for a normal player coming up from the minors who is inferior to the incumbent veteran, I think its fine to bring him along slower and eventually replace the veteran, rather than handing the job over to a kid.

Again, these are my theories. Not based on official posts.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So in testing the idea of sending a 25 year old back down for an update... I had a guy who was at 80 SI that I just went with the standard recommendation and called him up.

He's gotten hammered in league play and last Friday, had no SI gains. After Monday's cup, I sent him to the minors to sit through this mornings update. He gained 5 SI to make up for last time. I'd say he definitely had a bit more training to nab. Gonna see how he plays in the majors now, but he might continue bouncing around to see what I can squeeze out of him. 85 is still fairly low (granted I ran a 77 full season once) but he only has like 19-26 left to gain which he probably should be able to do over the next 2-3 seasons.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I you played him last week (last Friday), you probably just hurt his development Crazy. He'll gain training in the majors as well, and was probably ready to pop in all of those categories after his development last week.

Previous Page | Show All |