Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Burke... really?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
And he is 28. He is the highest SI pitcher under 30 available on waivers right now and costs under a million. Why wouldn't he have 100 claims?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Not a bargain for my team, as he is in the way of rookies who might actually become decent.

If you look at Mike's team you will see a lot of old guys with low SI. However if you dig down into them you'll see they are over performing. This means Mike has done an excellent job of digging through the rubble to find performers who were severely underscouted. An underscouted 13 could easily be a 16 in reality. So I think Mike is mixing underscouted "pop" with reality/overscouted "pop" ratings. I've had plenty of guys with 13/14 velocity and a great curve who couldn't pitch their way out of a paper bag. Burke is a good example of this, although he might do ok in LL 5/6, depending on which league (they obviously aren't all equal).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Garfscores - Well because he has really bad performance. Worst on my team. His FIP was only marginally better than a couple of underdeveloped rookies. His ERA has gotten consistently worse every year as his SI has risen. I'm a LL-4 team with a relatively poor pitching staff, so I was surprised anyone would value my castoffs.

Plus he didn't go up in SI at all last year which means he is pretty much done developing and I wouldn't expect him to perform any better than he did last year (which would vary by league of course).

Updated Sunday, August 30 2015 @ 12:06:23 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

I've had plenty of guys with 13/14 velocity and a great curve who couldn't pitch their way out of a paper bag. Burke is a good example of this, although he might do ok in LL 5/6, depending on which league (they obviously aren't all equal).

This, seen this on my team in the past too many times. Salary and age don't matter if they get outs without allowing runs. The players I describe in my posts are the players who perform the best in my experience. I am well aware not everyone is facing the same level of competition even at LL V, my original point in this thread was that Burke could be useful for a LL V or VI team (where 3/4 of the teams in the game are), but for higher leagues he would be less so. He would be the least talented pitcher in my organization, that is why I don't put claims on him.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Thought Jayman and Garfscores both made good points.

I'm surprised by the claims. But its mostly an effect of when he was released. Demand is very high at the start of the season, and there is a big supply trough right about now.

(Funks your brother)
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock- I'm just explaining why he has 100 claims. Look around the rosters of l5 and l6 teams. A pitcher with 57 total pitching skills and low stamina is basically a closer. It doesn't matter what he did in l4. The new folks are looking at that aggregate of all four pitches. I used to put a claim on any pitcher with above 50 total of the four pitching ratings,especially any under 30 and under $3 million. Those guys are hard to find now.
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Totally agreed, when I started five seasons ago these type of pitchers were easy to claim, but now....100 claim pitchers.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yep, I got your point Garfscores. And I can see how he could be a pretty good pitcher in the lower leagues. I was just surprised by how much interest he generated. This is the first time I've been on the top side of a trickle down effect :)

Up to 113 now.

Updated Sunday, August 30 2015 @ 5:21:55 pm PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
There are some leagues where LHP's just seem to struggle. I have had a couple of stout looking lefties that did well for awhile but then got chewed up as I changed leagues. Seemed like every time they pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. I'm still nursing one of them along in case I run into the right league. 2022 I let one of them go and he has preformed very well for his new club. And yet I needed to let him go because he was killing me. I can see why a lot of owners have put claims in on him. I can also see why others have passed. I am certain there are some very good fits out there for Burke. Whether he lands in one of those situations is another matter.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Never mind, not worth it.

Updated Sunday, August 30 2015 @ 10:40:29 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |