Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Fielding important for SS?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
DaveCool

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a shortstop question. My star player is a lefty that is listed as a shortstop from before I got the team. It said that he is hindered since he is s lefty so now I have him in centerfield. Is being left-handed that bad? I know the mechanics and logic of a right-handed shortstop, but I could really use him there.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Didn't know the game was made that way. To me, fielding being a factor in throwing errors is just plain silly.

Unfortunately, we can't really see how many total chances players get, so it's hard to say what's going on for sure. The average MLB SS gets about 600-700 opportunities to make plays per season. Average fielding percentage is around 98% and average errors are around 10-12.

Your guy's numbers are definitely below MLB average which does sound odd for 15 fielding. His numbers closely resemble those of Nationals' SS Ian Desmond. I don't really know what that means though, since I have no idea how good of a fielder Desmond is.

Updated Friday, August 21 2015 @ 11:29:04 pm PDT

Updated Friday, August 21 2015 @ 11:29:19 pm PDT
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Have you taken considered experience in the role? I mean, did those shortstops have ss or SS throughout the years you looked for or had they changed?
Had they suffered from age-related drop in skill, maybe?
Anyway Garf said the right thing: you also have to look to FA. # of errors doesn't say much in itself.
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Crazy_Li- you can see how many total chances. On a desktop or laptop hover over the fielding percentage for your player. Voila, total chances.

Revamping fielding stats should definitely be on the docket for the game. Especially since so many people use mobile.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
@ Rock,

My best explanation.

There was an official post a few seasons back saying there is no regression to mean, so the ME is relying on random factors to project out reasonable results. Stuff like errors and HRs are lower frequency events. Means its a little easier to have a good season or a bad season.

What I have found / believe is that the top end guys (18-20) perform better per point. Ie., a 20 PD guy is a bigger improvement over a 17 PD guy than a 17 PD guy is over a 14 PD guy.

Your 15 field guy should and will out-perform an 8 field guy. The 8 guy has had a couple consecutive seasons where he has performed at the top of his spectrum - maybe even overachieved.

Fielding is absolutely important at SS. To consistently see its value tho, I feel you need more than 15. The comparison given is between an above average and below average SS. Neither is great.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well I think the 15 is enough to show that there is 10-15 #errors difference between top and bottom performers. So how many runs does that equate too? 5-10? Given the 10 - 1 rule espoused in another thread, this means a bad fielding SS will lose you 1 game. But if a the difference between a good hitting SS and a bad hitting SS is 60 runs, then the hitting SS is winning you 6 games. The math seems to indicate that hitting is far more important than fielding.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I do feel like a 15 fielding SS should be committing less than 20 errors a season normally. Closer to the 10-15 range really. That seems more reasonable to me since that's around mean for MLB SS's. Not expecting superstar (under 10) or low-end (20+) numbers out of 15 fielding.

Also don't underestimate the power of errors. They don't always even lead to runs, but sometimes things can get crazy. I remember a game where I lost something like 6-4. My staff gave up 0 earned runs. I had 2 errors in the game which created the 6 unearned runs.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
If a 15 fielding SS only makes 10 errors, then the top end of that spectrum has basically no value.

Another way I could have stated my previous post.

A great SS will likely give you a great season. You may RNG a good season.
A good SS will likely give you a good season. You may RNG a great season or an average season.
Etc. Etc.
Viewed this way, the higher fielding has value b/c it mitigates the worst case.

A more tinfoil hat possibility. I've seen numerous things that make me wonder if players have a hidden form value the changes gradually / periodically. If true, then the lower fielding guy may have held good form more than average (he was MVP after all). The 15 guy may have had more periods of poor form.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball

Looking at other teams in the league:

12 fielding ~25 last two years
8 fielding ~22
13 - 23
14 - 21
16 - 15.5
5 - 26
19 - 11.5
16 - 16
14 - 18.5

Interesting study you made.
But don't draw any jasyy conclusion from it.

Beside the small sample size, you must reckon Errors are affected also by playing surface (we are told Turf is easier for IF)
And more importantly, Weather: it happened to me, a couple times indeed, to see a 4error game by my 2b... And it was raining!
A couple such games, and any correlation between Fielding and errors is skewed
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

hidden form value the changes

That's an interesting theory.

Folks, I wasn't trying to conduct a scientific study with 15 players. I was showing the 15 players I have access too, and basically asking the question "how much defense is enough". If the difference between 10 fielding and 15 fielding is so negligible, why kill ourselves to find a SS with a ton of fielding. We are better off wasting time fiddling with the batting order.

Previous Page | Show All |