Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Roster makeup   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rdub29317

Indianapolis Ducks
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I felt like this would be an interesting question to ask, so I'd love to hear some of your guys' answers: How did you acquire the players on your major league roster? How many guys are waivers, free agents, inherited when you took over for a previous owner or a bot, and who did you personally draft and train?

I took over my franchise in September 2018 and decided to build through the draft because finances weren't in great shape (and still aren't for that matter).

For me 4 guys were minimum salary free agents, 4 were drafted by me, and 18 were already in the organization when I took over but 13 of those were in the minors when I took over.

So, how does your roster break down? I'd love to hear your guys' answers!
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've only been here 2 months, and I've pretty much cleaned house since then.

Only 4 of the original roster hitters are on my team still (Barber, Olsen, Naranjo, Villegas)

I've managed to claim/sign 5 pitchers who have helped my team so far.

I also cleaned house in my minors, only original players left are Castaneda, Montanez, Hinojosa, and Ojeda. I drafted, signed, or claimed the rest of them.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Interesting question indeed. My answer would have been different a season ago and will hopefully be different in a season from now.

I'm going to break it down between homegrown and hired guns. I'm going to define homegrown as someone who came to my ML roster through the minors regardless if they were drafted, claimed or signed.

Under those guidelines I have 7 homegrown pitchers and six pitchers hired in. 5 of the 6 I've currently got hired are 30-35. They are mostly my MRs and SUs.

Of my hitters I have 6 homegrown guys and 4 of them are starters and the other two platoon with each other. My C 2B CF & DH are hired. Many of my hired guys are attempted reclaimations that may fail.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well I took the team during the break, made some cleanups and we're still rebuilding, looking at guys that actually contribute, the split is as below:
Starting lineup: 3 inherited guys, 2 rookies, 4 waiver claims
Bench that actually plays sometimes: 3 inherited guys, 1 waiver
Starting pitchers: 3 inherited, 1 rookie, 1 waiver
Bullpen: 3 inherited, 1 rookie, 3 waivers

Some of the guys are on very short rope and it's only a matter of time until they get released. I just need to win those one in fifty waiver claims ;)
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Considering I took over my current team (I had a prior one) prior to the 2017 season I will breakdown to claims of direct to ML roster, claims on minor league guys who made the ML roster, and draft picks (no free agents or guys from prior to my takeover left):

Starting lineup: 1 major league claim, 2 minor league claims, 6 draft picks (5 college, 1 Asian)
Bench: 2 major league claims, 2 minor league claims
Starting pitching: 1 major league claim, 4 minor league
Bullpen: 3 minor league claims, 1 major league claim, 1 draft pick (1 high school)

This will change over the next couple of seasons as several of my pitching draft picks make the major league roster for the first time.
Solana_Steve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
1 player from Latin American Academy....the rest from High School Draft.

Steve

Updated Wednesday, July 29 2015 @ 3:39:40 pm PDT
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Weirdly enough, I only have one player I actually drafted on my major league squad including both position players and pitchers. There are two other Norwalk Youth Products on the major league team that were already in the minors when I took over. Everybody else is a waiver claim or free agent signing either claimed as veterans or as minor leaguers and developed for the majors.

My minors are split about 50/50 between waivers and draft picks. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. With draft picks you get a salary discount, but you tend to get guys aren't perfect fits for what you're trying to do. With waivers you have the luxury of targeting guys who fit what you want to do perfectly, but may be older than you'd prefer, underdeveloped or misused in some way or another. I like a mix of the two, but prefer draft picks over waiver claims.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Great.thread. :)

There is a very big difference on my team between pitchers and position players.

Of the 12 pitchers on my ML roster, 6 are home grown. 6 were waiver/FA. All 12 came through the minor league system, and were developed in house.

Of the 16 position players on my ML roster, 3 are home grown. The other 13 waiver/FA. Of those 13, 3 came through the minors and 10 went straight to the bigs. Half of those needed developement at big league level, the other 5 were finished products. (Have 3 oldster / rental style guys this season - don't usually do that).

That trend is also visible at the minor league level. All but 1 minor league pitcher is home grown. Only 3 of 13 position players are home grown.

I've had my team over 5 seasons now, and TBH, those position player numbers are a bit disappointing. Probably due to me being picky.

As for inherited - I'm down to 3 players I inherited. When I got the team Garcia was pitching in the majors. Hardy and Acosta were in the minors. Many players turned in their Dinos jerseys for a pension.
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Most of my position players are inherited from previous owner. 9, to be precise. Of them, 7 were major league ready when I took over, and 2 were sent back to minors and promoted this season. Then I have 4 guys I got off waivers and 2 guys I drafted and brought up myself.
That makes 15 position players overall.

Pitchers are trickier, I replaced most of them so only 3 are still left from the previous owner, and the rest are waivers/FA picks. 3 of them went through my minors system first though.

My ultimate goal is to have the team full of home-grown players. I'm expecting about 11-12 prospects to get promoted to the main team in the next 3 seasons.

An even bigger goal is to build a truly international team with players from many different countries. Currently, there are players of 12 nationalities on combined major and minor league rosters, I'll be pretty happy if that number increases to 20 or so. :)

Updated Friday, July 31 2015 @ 4:29:48 pm PDT
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I inherited a farm system with 4 players under 25 and a majors team with 19 players over the age of 35. Naturally, my answer to this should skew the average just a bit, but here it is.

Of the 14 hitters in the majors:
12 waiver pickups
2 free agents
1 originally on roster, was in the minors.

Of the 11 pitchers in the majors
6 waiver pickups
1 free agent
3 originally on roster, two in the majors and 1 in the minors.
1 drafted player.

Of the 18 waiver pickups, i believe 15 of them were brought straight into the lineup as lowish 25 year olds.

Keep in mind i inherited this team in 2021, so this is basically in the span of two years i've wiped all but 2 major leaugers off the team, and 1 of the 2 is perhaps getting the axe this offseason. There is 1 player in the minors that was back and forth between the majors, and will likely play for the team in some capacity next season, and the rest in the minors are drafted or brought in via waivers mostly.

Previous Page | Show All |