Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> The new free agent system   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Minnie MiƱoso

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
A great improvement. Now I have a full roster instead of missing about 15 players. I actually have a minor league system and can enjoy watching my prospects develop and make decisions about who might be a future major league player and who looks like a bust. Thanks!
Onorik

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I watched the three players, but they all moved to Baytown Grove:(
ianheath653

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Definitely liking this feature, too. With pitching, I've snagged a few 22-23 year old minor league players who look like they have a lot of potential left to develop, so hopefully I'll have a decent set of replacements ready for when my team's not-so-young pitching staff really starts to decline in another season or two.

For field players, I've been releasing a handful of players I wasn't satisfied with last season but was pretty much stuck with and replacing them with free agents of the same ages, slightly lower salaries, and slightly higher skill sets in areas my team was lacking last season.

By making a bunch of incremental improvements, it looks like I'll have a team with a stronger farm system that'll do a little better against the bots in the league this season with a little lower payroll. It definitely helps to be able pour over the lists looking for diamonds in the rough and sign at will.
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
i don't mean to poo poo on your parade...but this is kinda why i wanted a release penalty...although it seems like you did it all in the offseason...which my suggestion would of allowed...but in real life (i know this is just a game) these kind of 1 season massive player overalls don't happen...it's a process and usually rebuilds take 3-4 seasons...and those are the fast ones...
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
sorry...meant 1 season massive player overhauls
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I am considering implementing a free agent signing bonus of moderate size (maybe 5x salary), just to avoid hyper turnover. It still wouldn't prevent clubs from rebuilding their team, but it will prevent truly excessive turnover.

It has two advantages:

1. encourage people to build from within.
2. limit the growth of the player statistics databases.

Steve
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
i rebuilt in the old "1 free agent a week" scheme...or started the rebuild...you witness pro sports...NHL...Columbus, Edmonton, New York Islanders...been running rebuilds for like 5-6 or more seasons...rebuilds aren't 1 season "drop everyone who sucks, pick up a bunch of good players" rebuild done...

i'm not saying i don't want anyone to make progress...i would just like a realistic style game...

managing a team is not an easy task...with all the positives...there are plenty of setbacks...it seems so many people want to manage a team but don't want to deal with the negatives and difficulty of management...
ianheath653

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I haven't exactly done a "massive" overhaul, though. I've released six players in the offseason, three of which were minor leaguers that were clearly never going to make it any further.

The other three released were field players from the major league squad replaced with three free agents with similar pay levels. That's been the extent of the turnover at the major league level on my team this offseason - not exactly unrealistic from what you'd see on an actual team between seasons.

The other free agents have been 22 and 23 year-old pitchers with no major league experience but good skills already that look like they have a lot of room to improve more and be able to step up in a couple of seasons. Again, a long term, and not unrealistic, move.

I think the constraints of having a functioning finance system at this point will hopefully prevent anybody from just trying to totally gut an existing team and buy immediate titles and promotion - I know my goal for this season is to be as close to break even financially as I can get, or slightly better.

Some kind of signing bonus and/or mid-season release penalty does make sense, though, for extra prevention from anyone going totally hogwild. Hattrick does something like that with agent, previous team, and mother club fees coupled with paying a week's salary at signing.
clodhopper

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Honestly the financial system imposes a very strong limit on a team. In my case, I have had to let go of some all-star players including last year's league MVP, because they were bankrupting me.

Luckily with unlimited free agency I can find young players and older under valued players to fill my roster. The two new systems add a lot of challenge to the game. This season's Spring Training was crucial to judge which new players make the majors, and which veterans got sent packing.

I don't know that premiums are needed. If an owner goes with a bunch of rookie players for 20 seasons, and is sitting on a nest egg of 500 million -- he should be able to buy a team full of all-stars. Go Yankees, right?
msigg6

Bay City Lions
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
love the system. I became a middle around team in the offseason to being a championship contender and #14 in the broken bat rankings.

I know rebuilds take AWHILE (long time)

for example what the Pirates did, or what the Astros are doing.............

Astros are developing one of the best Minor Leagues in Baseball, while their major league team sucks badly.

but in a few seasons (4-6) they should be able to compete with teams like the A's and the Orioles.

and that's what I'm trying to do, except with good team AND good Minors. I've picked up a lot of Rookie based players that got 40+ SI (with the exception of a few) So Now in about 5-6 seasons I should be able to bomb the Legends league with my players.

I also got 2 great developing pitchers in Zapata and Bonner, and then one of the destined greatest pitchers ever in the game inside of Manny Bailey.....so feel good about the FA system, though I can never find a legit 5th starting pitcher :(

Previous Page | Show All |