Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Hitting:

Keepers:
Carr: although weak against LHP, his CS% makes him worth keeping alone
On hold (unless something better comes up):
Jeon: solid LF for the future, hopefully he improves against RHP
Stein - poor start to the season but he'll improve - ideal No.2 espec against RHP
Beck - should be a starting OF and middle order hitter.
Hwang - starting CF and No. 4/5 hitter with that power
Rice - star of the team - lead off htiter, good defence and speed.
King - I'd have him as the starting C v RHP, see what happens!
McCarty - starting LF and No.3 hitter - solid
Holloway - hasn't lived up to his potential so far but I'd leave him as the starting RF against RHP and see if he earns his keep, a good No.4 hitter too
Lima - he's going to develop well, unless you're fighting off relegation then give him all the playing time you can
Bench:
Roman - strange results, very undeveloped, but not a throwaway.
Marquez - needs more playing time but not a bad No.9 hitter with that defence and speed
Osorio - bench player to support a young 3B at best, first to cut if needed due to age.
Owen - border line but as a pinch hitting / defensive slugger he's ok, mostly for his low salary.
Drop:
Montoya - he's old, not going anywhere, and blocking a player you have or could get on waivers/FA.
Campos: A long history of under performing offensively and defensively, boot him.

Pitching:

Keepers:
Peralta - OK results, best as an LHS
Roy - not having a good season but he'd be a better starter than Velez or McKinney, solid keeper
pierce - unlucky start to the season, very solid SP
Vera - not having a good season but worst case scenario then drop him to the pen as a set up guy
Lane - give him a whirl starting, let him develop and see what his production is like
Saenez - another unlucky one, give him a long leash
Rosario - another I'd consider starting to give him as many innings as possible, it'll hurt a bit but he'll develop well and be better than at least 2 of your current starters.
Pinto - under developed and nothing special but unless you're facing relegation give him afew innings to get developed this season, he'll still turn out alright
McMahon - put him back in the minors if you can, otherwise he'll develop OK as an MR
Drop:
Velez - average results, against, at best should be LR, not locking a young-un from starting.
McKinney - LR at best, for 3.15m I'd cut and run
Simmons - hasn't had a decent season for a couple of years, give him the boot
Munoz - very under developed - not likely to reach his potential, hold him until you can get better

I haven't read anyone else feedback while doing these, I hope its not offensive at all its just an outside view!
Sdorfman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
New to the game. Would be great if I could get an analysis of my team as well.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Minors:

Sosa - Cut, 9 potential.
Farrell - 12 potential + low range for an infielder. I think he can be kept and used as a cheap 3B.
Matthews - Cut. 11 potential OF, you can find 12's that are similar at worst in FA.
Kelley - See Matthews.
Olson - Low Potential, Low Control. cut.
Aleman - No control, 11 potential, huge defense on a pitcher. Cut.
Reyna - Keep. 13 potential, do what the game tells you to do, don't promote early.
Quintero - Normally a cut, but until you fill minors keep. I think this guy could get close to being useful as a DH, but 11 potential will make it very close.
Webb - Keep, but understand his range/arm will make him a mediocre defender.
Mitchell - If only he could play catcher, but he's left handed. Can keep for now until you get better.
Stephens - A nice Lefty hitter Right glove, but once again the running theme is low range low arm. They don't move much, so you are left with an uninspiring fielder. Can keep for now i guess....
Perea - Doesn't particularly impress me, but nothing wrong with him. Might as well keep him and see how he does.
Casey - Pacing for about 40 Fielding (goes down after weights, but still). I'd probably move along at some point, but for now you don't have much depth so see if his control gets moving in the positive direction. If it doesn't send him packing.
Wolf - Train control as a primary, and watch this guy develop. Looks like a winner to me.
Castellonas - Cut. 9 potential won't do.
Haynes - Cut
Pearson - Cut. I know you drafted him, but he's not good enough really to warrant a training spot.
Velarde - DH or bust again. No armstrength for the OF, no range for the IF. Maybe a 1B? but still meh.
Navarrete - 11 potential OF, see Matthews way up the list.
Destrade - 14 potential, so i would keep him. He's probably going to feel like more of a 13 potential given that his fielding should end in the 45 FP range (fielding points).
Ramires - Keep, 13 potential with no negatives, seems like a good pitcher.
Cantu - Cut. 10 potential bad Catcher.

Majors - Your pitching is not good enough to win you your way out of league 6. It's probably a team that will eventually find it's way to a partial or full rebuild. Look at what the better teams in your league have on the rotation and/or the pen, and aim to get to at least that point before you assume potential for promotion exists.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Sdorfman, Fury's words while harsh are roughly accurate. Several of your minor league players are worse than what can be found in free agency. Run some searches by potential on free agents and waivers and try and find some guys who can at least improve, because the largest problem I see is your guys mostly aren't even going to get any better.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The good news is that it'll be his identity on the team post rebuild. The unfortunate reality is that sometimes you suffer some mediocrity before success occurs. Had to carry 3 guys on my team in d.vi in the outfield in the 70's and low 80s, just coming out of it now.

Forgive my harsh approach, I just wanted to leave you with a clear picture of your current situation. Could promote if you spend on good vets, but success there might be short term and costly.
Sdorfman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you for your help, I am not offended by your harsh comments considering I didn't bring in any of the guys you criticized. I did notice that my guys don't seem to improve is there something I can do via training that will make more players improve at a faster rate?
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Nothing more than ensuring they're in the recommended level, and set your primary and secondary training for how you want you team to focus - for me its control and plate discipline.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Several factors affect training, few are under your control when you first take over a team. JJNZ mentioned making sure players are at the recommended level and that your training focus is set where you want it, however the largest factors are potential, experience, and age of players. After about 28 or 29 players pretty much stop getting better and go into decline in the early 30s. Years of experience are shown next to the age on the roster page, and potential growth can be read differently for hitters and pitchers. Most pitchers gain all the skills they are going to get from experience in the first two full major league seasons (20 Friday updates), whereas hitters are much more likely to improve more slowly over a longer number of seasons (though these are only trends, not true of every player). Players also very rarely get better than their potential bar shows, multiple other threads state the potential translations and the scouting report meanings. Any players with less than 11 potential are completely useless because there are guys with good builds who are 11 and 12 potential sitting in free agency. 9 and 10 potential players will cap under 90 SI (total skills) at their peak. It is simply impossible to compete with that lack of skill. Training in this game is slow and steady, and the boost by the skill focus is marginal over the normal small amount of training to every skill. Although it is frustratingly slow for a new player, it is the best simulation that I have seen of how players really do get better over the course of their young career at different rates.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but JJNZ's explanation while helpful in disclosing the controllable factors without changing the players on your roster, only covers probably less than 10% of the factors in training/experience growth.

Updated Saturday, July 11 2015 @ 9:35:06 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Sun is an example of a player who increased in POT. But you'll notice his SI is only one point above what a 13 POT caps at. So in reality the scouts were just off by 1 (or maybe it was a rounding thing). Like Newtman said POT is pretty stable. Its also not the best indication of future performance. You want to get players who will build towards the position you want to play in. I *believe* that the scout recommendation of "Good overall potential" or "Very good overall potential" is a better indicator of future success.

That being said Newtman is absolutely right that you can safely ignore 9 and 10 POT guys. You will find a couple gems in the POT 11 pool that can help you out through the first couple league levels, but generally you are going to want 12 POT and greater guys for your long term prospects.

Also, if you are looking for near term immediate impact players, you can also just ignore POT entirely since prior performance if more important for these short term journeymen.

Updated Saturday, July 11 2015 @ 11:23:59 am PDT
Sdorfman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you all so much for your help, as you all mentioned it will probably be a long road ahead for me. I am really enjoying the game so far and look forward to the future

Previous Page | Show All |