Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Manager uses unassigned pitchers in spring training   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I love the new spring format and the extra games and experience. People just need to adjust their pitching staff strategy accordingly.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How the hell do you adjust for the fact that 15 different guys are fatigued or injured? That's the dumbest remark I've seen in quite some time. I like the extra experience too, my problem is with the doubleheaders every other game day. Why not have spring training start earlier (month and day in a game year) and spread it out over more time in game while keeping the same real life schedule?

Updated Friday, June 19 2015 @ 4:44:12 pm PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Well newt, you can read up and make adjustments to fatigue limit as suggested by Seca and Psf. Or you can get more pitchers into your minors as I need to. Also, there are lots of managers who are using 5 man rotations which is likely to mean your starters are going to be fatigued for their next start so adjust to a 6 man rotation.

These are a few adjustments a manager can make. There are likely more.

I took a look at your staff and you don't appear to be suffering a serious fatigue problem. Maybe you were but figured out how to deal with it. Maybe you are just advocating for others. I don't know but there ya go.
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I haven't had any problems with fatigue. I have 18 pitchers that I'm trying to get into spring training games, though. I set everyone at a 50 pitch limit. My guys are anywhere from 6-21 IP. Did you have crazy extra inning games back to back in a doubleheader? Maybe like in real life spring training, we allow ties after 10 innings? That might cut down on some fatigue.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Didn't think you could set 18 pitching roles. Rotating in and out? 18 seems a little exceptional. I've managed to use 14.

The schedule is fine if you are using pitchers that are .. err ... good. My kids aren't so good. An 80-85 pitch count often only gets them into the 4th. The guys coming in from the pen aren't any more efficient.

It is spring training. Results don't matter. An unassigned guy probably only shows up once every 6-7 games. Not a big deal.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Tiger, I set mine to a 6 man rotation at the start of the pre-season, I have had 13 minor league pitchers for the entire spring training, and I have fatigue limits I am comfortable with for all my pitchers. Despite all that, what I linked to earlier still happened and it went to my major league ace who was unassigned. As I said, the spring training games need to be spread out more. Please stop making assumptions without actually reading and paying attention.

Garf, I did have two long extra inning games (one 15 innings and the other 13 innings) but they weren't back to back. had several uber high scoring affairs that burned through 5 pitchers though as well. I know part of it is bad luck, but one shouldn't need to set 18 roles to have a pitcher (I set 16 including the 3 major league guys that could still benefit from experience).

Updated Friday, June 19 2015 @ 8:18:39 pm PDT
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Seca, yes, I rotate them in. Once I have a reliever with heavy fatigue, I'll take him out of his role and put a new one in.

15 innings is a long game. Combine that with a high scoring game in the second half of a doubleheader and you could head to your non assigned guys.

Again, my solution would not be to change the schedule, but to cut extra inning games short. I like that you actually have to manage during spring training. Monitor your pitching fatigue just like you monitor injuries.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I feel blow-outs are a bigger problem than extra inning games. They are more frequent. Also, in a blow-out your manager doesn't want to use setup men, so you are operating with 1/2 your bullpen.

If you trot your 60SI AA squad out against someone's 100SI major league roster, by inning 4 your starter is out of gas, and the game is out of hand. Say it takes MR, MR2 and LR1 to finish it out.

Next game, same scenario. This time your manager has LR2 and SS to finish it out.

Oh, oh. SS was supposed to start game 3. Now what? SS, LR, LR2, MR, MR2 are all fatigued. I think your manager uses an unassigned guy at this point rather than start a setup man.

I feel like its not intended to roll 60SI pitchers from start of spring training to finish (unless you have a small army of them :) ). With the same schedule next season, I would look to put 2 guys with a decent shot of giving a good start into positions 2 & 5 in the rotation (even if it means using a majors guy that doesn't need much experience). Think that would smooth it out quite a bit.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Indeed, Seca is partially on the correct track. To minimize the damage I have actually used my 3 major league pitchers who can still benefit highly from experience as starters 1, 3, and 5 which greatly increases the chances that every other starter will go at least 5-6 innings. It increases the injury risk, but ultimately is the easiest way to manage fatigue as far as I can tell. I was using this system from the start, and it cannot prevent problems in bad luck circumstances such as linked above.
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball

I feel like its not intended to roll 60SI pitchers from start of spring training to finish

Don't forget the impact of the 80SI out of position guys playing behind them giving the opponent extra outs at least few times a game (errors + botched DPs).

This spring came at a good time for me with a couple majors guys needing exp and a my prospects being almost all AAA/AA.
All but one of my ST starts came from a 88-86-77-75-70-67 group.

Question: With 50% more spring training games, did the per-game injury chance get reduced by 1/3 to keep the expected number of total ST injuries the same?

Previous Page | Show All |