Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Struggling after Promotion   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
doug1642

Federal Way Knights
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
My question is: My team, top to bottom, has struggled quite a bit after being promoted from league 6 to league 5 this season. Is this a situation where the players will get more experience at this level and will eventually "catch up" to the ability level of the league, or will I need to get new players with better ability at this level?
GreenYoshi

Brookhaven Mustangs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey Doug,

I took a look at your team stats...overall .228 avg, and .297 obp is really rough. Pitching on the other hand, 3.90, not bad at all.

The first thing I noticed looking at your roster, is that you only have a total of two 16+ hitters on your squad followed by one 14+ and the rest aren't up to snuff. I feel in order to be competitive you're going to need to add a couple more 16+ hitters to start seeing progress...

My advice would be start going through waivers and picking up some players. I would personally start with the outfield. The OF is probably my strong point on my team. I think there's more talent there than the other positions. Here's a few suggestions:

Jung Hwa Yoo,
Keith Chandler, and I would take a look at Oswaldo Canizares

Consider a new catcher. Try putting in a claim for Rodney Wood...

Personally, I don't think you need Patrick Schroeder especially when you're paying him 1.80 for his skill set. Neither do you need Cruz Olivas... he has the speed but he ain't using it. Or Marcus Fisher since he doesn't really have a particular skill you can utilize... if you need a second baseman, consider placing a waiver for Emilo Lara.

Looking at your minors, I see you've stocked a lot of very young guys who will help you 4-6 years down the road, but I would consider adding a few college guys just so you can replace guys like Alan Wilkerson quicker and it'll give you more options than just waivers...

Pitching is a different story and frankly, your strength so things are working there.

Anyways, to answer your question why it hasn't clicked, I say it has to do with the offense and just having a few more good hitters. Also personally, I'd take a look at OBP and try to find players who can draw a walk. They're just as valuable as power and hitting in my opinion.

Sorry for the longish response. Hopefully my advice kind of helps. You got a good team, just keep at it and things will improve.
doug1642

Federal Way Knights
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the info. I had posted previously about issues moving from league 6 to 5. I didn't know how much of their struggles were due to that, or the fact that I changed the stadium from open and grass to a dome and turf. I also did not know if they would get experience in a harder league and eventually adjust. I appreciate the input.

Previous Page | Show All |