Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Development   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Which is the best way to develop a young major leaguer. Starting them in slow or giving them as much playing time as possible?
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Unfortunately if they don't play, they don't develop To their maximum. So to have a young guy make it you have to play him. I assume there is some sort of line they need to hit, say 50 ABS or 10 innings, but as far as I know nobody has ever determined that number. And I don't have the luxury of wealth that I could afford to stunt a few players to find it.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Hard to say. Everyone probably has their own pet theory.

For me it's situational. A call-up with a small gap between skill and potential usually gets full playing time.

A call-up with a large gap between skill and potential usually plays as a back-up, or gets a small role. My hope is that by extending the experience gaining process, I can squeeze a out few more points and get closer to potential.

This philosophy is also practical. Players with a small gap are often quite productive, and with extensive playing time, will peak relatively quickly.

Players with a big gap - often not so productive. Rope-a-doping them along lessens their impact on team performance, and if the theory is right, potentially results in a slightly better final product. But it does take longer.

Other factors like age and prospect quality also come into play. Again, very situational.

Just my theory. Near impossible to test.

Updated Thursday, May 14 2015 @ 8:51:30 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |