Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Draft Survey   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I surveyed about twenty-five+ managers on what draft pool they draft from. All of the managers have high rated teams and have had long and successful careers. I have also gone through a lot teams transaction pages to see who they were drafting. And thanks to all the teams I surveyed and asked for opinions.

High School prospects 30%
College prospects 27%
Latin Academy prospects 23%
Asian Posting system 3%
International players 3%
Any player tab 14%

I didn't find anybody who drafted exclusively from Asian players, or International players, but their were teams that did occasionally. And there weren't many teams that just exclusively drafted from one pool but most of them had one pool that they mainly drafted from .
Information I gathered from different managers(mainly legends managers) was that if you draft High school players they will have more of a chance to come to there full potential, than other draft pools, because of the younger players being drafted, the same being true with young Latin academy players. Also that better pitchers are coming out of Latin academy and College than the other pools, especially Latin academy, because of higher skill Index than High school players.
Personally I have drafted mostly from High school and have gotten two 15 potential guys in less than two seasons(Gus Lockewoode and Bart Patton), but have also gotten a couple nice prospects from college.
If you really want to get your minors turned around quick I would go with College because they will be producing for your major league team a lot quicker, but I think the upside in drafting from high school is a lot higher. I have only drafted once from Latin academy and I that guy didn't even make it into training camp so I don't have any experience with that but one manager said that he most of rotation he drafted from Latin academy.
I hope this starts a conversation on what pool and why, it is the best to draft from. thanks again for all the guys who helped out with this.

Updated Tuesday, May 5 2015 @ 12:05:27 pm PDT

Updated Tuesday, May 5 2015 @ 12:07:39 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think there is or should be a "best" pool. They all theoretically start with the same amount of potential talent, and with different people picking from different pools they will all get picked over roughly evenly. If one pool definitively was the best you wouldn't find much variation in which pools are picked from. The relative size of the international pool before its recent increase in size was a major consideration for many not to choose from it (less players means less chances of a great player). Just my two cents on the topic, though the survey data is interesting.
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Yea I am not trying to say there is a best draft pool, but rather some are better in certain aspects than others, while others are better in other aspects.
But I think most people would admit the International pool does not produce a lot of talent.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
If you really want to get your minors turned around quick I would go with College because they will be producing for your major league team a lot quicker, but I think the upside in drafting from high school is a lot higher

This is kind of the point of the pool system. Clearly, by drafting just college players, you can develop minor leaguers into big leaguers faster. But if everyone adopts this strategy, then the college pool will be depleted and the other pools with have a greater density of talent.

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This data actually points to the international and Asian league pools as being the "best" pools, because they are being under fished. I know where I'm drafting from next week.

Updated Tuesday, May 5 2015 @ 8:46:33 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Remember Rock, this was both a sample size of 25, and not meant to be a representative one at that. It does not mean that those other pools are not fished, only that they aren't fished by long time players.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Out of ninety-some International players in the pool at the beginning of this season, there were 15 left last Friday. That pool is definitely NOT underfished. I remember the Asian pool being overfished as well in previous seasons, but that doesn't seem to be the case this time around.

Updated Wednesday, May 6 2015 @ 2:09:08 am PDT
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
when i took the team, i had no minors. So for the first 3-4 season i picked up mostly from college.

Now it's the second season that i pick only from high school and latin academy, besides last pick of the season i usually select the global pool.

Some thoughts in 5 seasons of drafting:

- In college pool seems like there are more average players (12-13 pot) and less high pot guys
- Latin academy is more risk/more reward: there are a lot of good players (14-15 pot) but if they are 20-21 usually they don't develop well.

- another think i found (maybe it's only small sample size) is there in latin academy there are less pitchers than college and high school.

Last thing, I should try Asian pool 1-2 times in a season :D

Previous Page | Show All |