Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> what to do with   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Grats! I had a claim on him. I was going to use him at SS considering the range/arm/fielding combo, but you know your team/league best.
GreenYoshi

Brookhaven Mustangs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey Rock,

Congrats on the pick-up. I had to let Jalen go because I wanted to give another guy some time at 2nd and it would have been a waste of money to split time or send him down.

Personally, I thought he was a fantastic hitter... considering the pitching dominance in my league. Maybe a lot of strikeouts, but he seemed to find those holes. It's a shame he won't improve further.

Never thought of using him as a SS but that seems like a solid plan. Looks like you already got some good players at second and short so you probably could afford to stick him in minors for a year.

Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Grats. Dinos also coveted Schmitt.

Would he gain more fielding experience playing in the majors or at his recommended level?

I estimate position training to be ~2X faster in the majors. Assumes regular playing time.
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There is no reason to put him in the minors. If you want him to play short I say put him there and just take the lumps this season. at worst he maxes out ss training at next year's all star break.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well my primary reason for not playing him is trying to avoid demotion. He would be an upgrade at 2B, but I really want to train him at SS. He is going to be a huge liability at SS until he learns the position... Of course the 2X training modifier is mighty tempting. I might wait a week or two to see how desperate my chances are.

My hopes are up for him to be decent at hitting because he's done well historically. However his abilities are far below any of the guys I have in there now and most of them are stinking the place up this year. I suspect he has been playing in more hitter friendly leagues...

Updated Monday, May 4 2015 @ 7:25:36 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Do you see him as a replacement for Sun or Campbell?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Optimally he would replace Sun at SS and Sun would replace Campbell at 2B. The problem is that both Sun and Schmidt need to improve in those positions to make that happen. Sun should be close with ~160 games at 2B over the last two years, but I'm not sure how close Schmitt is. He has ~180 appearances at SS in the last two years, but I don't know when he achieved ss status.

Schmitt would be a big downgrade offensively from Campbell, but he is younger and he it would be a big defensive upgrade if I can put him at SS and shift Sun over to 2B.

I could also just use Campbell as my backup 2B (I don't have one on the roster right now), but then I'm basically condemning him to backup status as he'd never get the innings to pick up SS.

Updated Tuesday, May 5 2015 @ 9:46:41 am PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I had my claim in on him too. I was going to use him at 2nd base and move my 2nd baseman Hawkins to lf. Hawkins would also back up at 2B and SS. I would have then been able to release 1 or even 2 guys and free up some salary.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Jalen got his SS today, which I was excited about until I looked at his batting again... With at most 4 points left in his SI (a couple of those going towards fielding), he is a really bad batter... He is hitting .160 right now in the minors and his abilities don't really point towards him doing any better in the majors. Offensively he is a major downgrade from any of the guys I have playing now... He could be a useful backup player, but at 2M+ price tag I think I goofed in claiming this guy... You might all get another shot at him soon.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
His past says he'd still make it on a team like mine two levels below, where he did have some success. I don't know that he really does fit on your team this season (at that price anyway). But maybe the salaries of your starters next season would make him good to have at under 3 mil if someone like Sun gets too expensive for your taste.

Previous Page | Show All |