Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Good Pitching vs. Good Hitting   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jayman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Starting this discussion to see others opinions on the matter. I have always felt that good pitching trumps good hitting and it certainly seems to be proven for my team thus far in the season. I am happy with my line up and I have finally settled on a manager with the right level of aggressiveness and activity. We generate a lot of runs but against the two top teams in my league who have pretty good pitching for level 6 they get shut down pretty quick. On the other hand my starters are just not playing to the level I had hoped thus we have a positive run differential yet we are floating back and forth around .500.

What are your thoughts?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well you really need both to win. I don't see any reason you wouldn't focus on getting both. If you aren't getting talented young pitchers and batters your team will falter.

If you mean FAs then its a different story. That's about where to invest a huge wad of cash. Personally I try to stay away from investing huge wads of cash, but if I do its for who ever is the best player on the market (and then I'm competing with a lot of other players). I think the question is somewhat irrelevant in this game as we don't have a lot of control over who we get in FA and how much we pay them.

IRL I lean towards batting. Batters impact ~100% of the games. Pitchers only impact ~20% of the games. Yes they have more impact in the games they play, but I prefer the continuous impact (leads to more consistency in results).
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Pitching and defense. You really need both. Decent pitching is the hardest thing to find. Decent hitting is a dime a dozen.
Jayman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree the best teams have both. No doubt there. And I also agree that in this game it best to build from the minors. I do have some great prospects in the minors. I've been searching free agents and waivers and just can't seem to find better pitching than what I have currently. I have placed a lot of waiver bids but of course the only time a player is worth the money there are a ton of other teams making claims on them too and though I got lucky a couple of times last season I haven't won any yet this season. Not complaining that's just the way it goes. I certainly lean towards pitching and defense.

I guess your going on the 5 man rotation with the 20% Rock. However when they are in the game they are involved in every defensive play. So when I do go into FA I'm willing to spend more on a pitcher than a positional player.

Its an interesting topic which is why I wanted to start the thread.

Updated Monday, April 27 2015 @ 7:26:39 am PDT
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, from what I've seen, in this game good pitching almost always beats good hitting. I have the best hitting team in my division, but the previous season it was barely enough to get me out of relegation (3 bottom teams had the same number of wins and my hitting helped there). This year my team fares a bit better since some of the bot opponents lost their top pitchers because of financial issues, but the teams with better pitching are still above mine.

Can't really say anything about the defense, most of the teams in my division are quite similar in this regard (mine is usually 2nd or 3rd defense-wise) so I'm not sure how much difference it makes.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think the "good pitching beats good hitting" saying may be the biggest misleading cliche in all of sports. When a team wins 3-2, why is it because of pitching? Maybe it was great hitting that got you those three runs, and poor hitting the only had them score two. Also, the best pitching in the world can't win you a game by itself; you can't win if you don't score.

Still, if you watch the odds for games you'll see dramatic changes every day. The reason is simple-starting pitchers are far and away the most important players every game.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yep a fairly polarizing subject with no apparent right or wrong answer. Its an interesting topic. Personally I've always gone with the "you can't win if you don't score cliché." I'd rather have 5 #3 pitchers and win with batting then 1 #1 pitcher who helps me win one game a week. Kind of like the Redsox, accept 5 #3 quality pitchers instead of 5 #4 quality pitchers.
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd prefer having good pitching than good hitting, but in this game find good pitchers is much more difficult than having good hitters, so i stick with what i've got.

Right now, my hitting is not bad but my pitching is not going very well, even in my stadium (which should be a pitcher's park). I have played way more games on the road tho, so i expect a bounce back of pitchers in the second part of the season.
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@Mike: if we talk about real baseball and other sports, then you'll be right no doubt, but we're talking about BB here, and here it's enough to look at the statistics to see that the best teams are almost always the ones with best pitching. Just look at the Legends league, since 2016 all division winners are teams with best pitching. Sometimes they also have the best hitting, but that's in less than half of the cases (5 out of 12).

At the first glance it's the same for the other leagues as well.

Updated Tuesday, April 28 2015 @ 2:40:00 am PDT
biggestillinifan

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
A good mix of quality offense, defense and pitching will gain you lots of success. That said, I have found great hitting can get you through Divisions 4-6 but strong pitching is essential to elevate into the biggest leagues.

My team has been built around a number of great hitters, which I was fortunate to have available to me in the draft. My pitching is bad due to my preference to take hitting despite the need for pitching. Additionally, I am not afraid to take the 13/14 pot hitter with poor defense.

Previous Page | Show All |