Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Draft Day   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would have went with Puentes too. Looks like he could be a decent player. "Fastball has some pop" mean 12-14 velocity. I usually stay way from those guys unless they have other positive attributes. I don't think 12-14 is really enough to dominate batters.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Regarding Puentes, in a vacuum, I think he's the pick there. I already have six outfielders in my minors though, two that are 17 and all are 14 or 15 POT. Even if he'd have been a 13 POT guy, there's really not a place for him in Norwalk. If he'd have been a catcher, it likely would be a different story.

For me, I'd decided that this was already a lost draft after a quick scan, so I rolled the dice on a possible 12 POT reliever that turned out to be a 9 POT bus ticket with cleats. Considering the slate of players I was offered, not a big loss either way.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. And OF seems to be the easiest position to find high POT guys. You were pretty much doomed with that set of options. You could have gotten lucky with a high Control/COS guy on the relief but it sounds like he didn't pan out.

I suppose the silver lining is that you can be confident you didn't leave anything on the table this week :)

Updated Friday, April 10 2015 @ 3:26:50 pm PDT
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I have multiple waiver claims in over the next few days, so the roster spot may turn out to be more valuable than any one of those guys would have been as well.

Updated Friday, April 10 2015 @ 3:41:45 pm PDT
Bilbo Shaggins

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Finally got a good player where should I play him? http://brokenbat.org/player/106287
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
SS without question. That is a franchise ss to build around.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Dang, nice pickup Bilbo :)
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I have in my minors a 12 pot "very good" prospec, and a 14 pot "good" prospect, but i had never seen a 15 pot "good" until today :D
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Nice. :) I went looking for an example of "Above average potential" with a bar of 14, but couldn't find one. Perhaps that is too big a reach. "Above average" with 13 I think are fairly common. Have one of those in my own system.

I recently noticed a player that increased the size of his potential bar. Steve seemed to confirm that I wasn't delusional, and that this could happen. Made me wonder - if this were more common, would there be less of an obsession with bar size?

Taken to an extreme - if potential bar display were "capped" at 13 for fresh pulls - would that make for more interesting game play? The longer the player is in your system, the more accurate your sense of the bar becomes. It would make long term planning a little more difficult, but would reward managers who are more attentive to how their players are developing.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think I've seen a couple guys lose a bar too. I agree that if there was a little more unknown early on it would make things more interesting. I don't think I'd want to cap at 13 though. If a guy really has 17 POT, he probably should be at least a 15 POT even if the scouts are way off on him.

BTW, I'm pretty sure I've seen guys lose POT too. If you have a full POT level of potential change on either side that would be a lot. Right now I think it only happens with guys who are right at the max and gain or lose 1 point (due to scouting). If the players could fluctuate +/- 2 points in each skill we could have players going from 12 POT up to 14 or all the way down to 10.

Updated Saturday, April 11 2015 @ 8:20:43 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |