Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Emotional Attachment to Players   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think I would have been sorely tempted with McCarthy. He still looks pretty boss.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The overriding factor was he was blocking the development of my youth movement who are now my starting lineup. Admittedly, he was only taking up one spot, but my average roster age at that point was around 25 for the majors and 23 overall.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I suffer from this as well. I have guys in my minor league system that shouldn't be there. Guys on my roster that shouldn't be there. I look at guys on waivers and think "He'd be a nice improvement over Bob. Nah, I like Bob."

Emotional attachment has the potential to stifle upward movement. But its probably more fun to "connect" with your players. :)
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
"I like Bob"

Classic!

As long as I like my team, I'm having fun...I'd rather run 2nd with "my" guys than hire a pennant...glad to know I'm not the only one fellas
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, I finally let him go. Hope this isn't too big of a deal that I am bumping this thread that was posted at the beginning of the season.

A few weeks short of 17 years in the organization, I decided it would be best to drop him. My team is facing relegation and I need to finish these last 40 games strong as fresh faces join the roster and quickly look to compete for the starting jobs in future seasons.

He was pretty much the franchise player of the last decade and a half, and the last huge player who was there when I started playing, so things will be weird without him, but it ultimately is for what he and the other players with whom he was a contemporary with helped the team achieve,

Again, thank you guys for your comments, and basically helping me not feel weird feeling somewhat moved (not like I am actually upset on a serious level) about the end of this player's tenure.
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I had same sentimental problem with Alexander and Contreras.

Well, more with Alexander, because Contreras was still productive at age 35
FMcgriff1b

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Dean Thompson http://brokenbat.org/player/56154 He has been with the team for 15 seasons and he was able to be productive until this year. (Though he was excellent in the cup) He is 2nd all time in saves with 509. He has an outside shot of having the most saves all time. I think he would be productive for a non Legends league team. Though the price tag would be way too high for a div. VI. team. 6.7million and I have a discount on that salary. I'm delaying dropping him solely because of sentimental reasons. I have a perfect replacement for him in my bullpen.
Harr2014

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm gonna let Diego Cantu finish the season and retire at #5 on the all-time saves list. Thought he might be good for one more strong season, but he's only racked up 25 saves to this point. Heck of a career.
GreenYoshi

Brookhaven Mustangs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I've had to say goodbye to some franchise players... but I've learned to cut them by 33 so I don't have to see them regress to shadows of their form selves.

Will be hard to say goodbye to Justin Meadows. He might stay until retirement just because he was one of my first pickups when I started playing BB. I can already see the regression.

I cut Jason Johnston before this season. This was hard. He was also my one of my first pickups. Gave him a chance when no one else did and he gave me solid production. Maybe if he's cheaper next year, I'll add him again just so he can retire as a member of Dog. :)
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I feel like a cold, terrible person. :) If its a good move for the club, no matter how long or how well that player has done for the team, I'm going to release the player. I think Billy Beane (thanks Brad Pitt) summed it up correctly in Moneyball.

"I can't develop an emotional attachment to these players. I have to be able to trade them, or sometimes even release them."

I'm 95% sure that quote isn't exactly right, but its the same general idea.

Previous Page | Show All |