Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Moving Through the Minors   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
el_jefe_loco

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi all, another question from a new manager.

Curious about the opinions on moving players through the minors, specifically when a player "seems a little overmatched at this level of competition", but they are behind their peers or the normal progression. Do you force them through or coddle them with more time at each step of the minors?

An example from my squad is Daeshim Yeom, who is 24 yrs old and has been in our minor leagues for 4 years, but still prefers AA. I am doing harm forcing him up to AAA?

Any thoughts how how you guys handle this general situation?

Updated Thursday, March 5 2015 @ 10:46:45 am PST
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I follow the recommended level since that is where they receive optimal training. I actually have four test subjects, er players, who fit your description of being far behind their peers in training due to time spent in free agency. I am going to try to get them to max even if it takes til 30, simply as an experiment and because my team is still fairly young. Note: the results will not be available until 2016 real time most likely.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I am doing harm forcing him up to AAA?

Yes. As Newtman said, training is most efficient at the recommended level. Yeom will train best at AA. There is no benefit to placing him in AAA.

how you guys handle this situation?

The problem is that guys like this don't "naturally" promote to the major league level. When they reach age 25 they will be recommended for the majors (even if they didn't play in AAA).

Then it becomes a bit of a judgement call: whether to season him a bit at AAA or bring him up. Not as clear cut as a player with a normal timetable.
el_jefe_loco

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Interesting. So there is less of a judgement call about how to move them through A-AA-AAA, and more of a decision about when to call them up to the majors.

Thanks for the advise.
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Interesting, I just gave up on a guy that could almost be his twin - Ángel Montes

He was stuck in A ball instead of AA, but potential/si/speed/age ... very close.
I probably should have found someone else to cut, but after almost 3 full seasons of his skills crawling and not even a little 3b popping I figured he has a learning disability.

Previous Page | Show All |