Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Hidden Defensive Trait?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Has anyone seen strange defensive results by a player that has prompted you to create a theory about a hidden defensive trait? I'm wondering because my backup at third is horrible despite being fully qualified and supposedly decent in the field.

He is 14/11/12 defensively with a capital 3B and has a fielding percentage of .833. Yes, it's only 20 games, but even if you cut out half of his errors he would be abysmal.

Just curious if anyone has seen similar things with players with considerably more playing time and if you have any idea what may be causing the defensive failure.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
You're talking about Espinosa?

I'd say the sample size is too small.

Steve
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Agreed, sample size but...it does seem like some new players and pitchers generally go through a rough rookie period. Of course only Steve could say for sure if your 25 year old and others would be susceptible to "growing pains" as a hidden trait. And since he has already weighed in, I suspect he may not say much more.
Solana_Steve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah...but is that a hidden defensive trait or just the inaccuracy of scouted player skill values?

Steve
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I think in this case it's just small sample size, i have a guy that in the first 13 games in major leagues at 3B did 4 errors, and the next year he won golden glove.
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I would agree that the sample is far too small to draw any conclusion but would also say that he lacks experience and will be become more consistent anyway.

The fact you play on grass will mean the ball might take an occasional "bobble" but factors like this even out over time.

Previous Page | Show All |