Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Game engine updates   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The LH batter bonus is for "hitting behind" the runner. That's a little bit easier for a LH who can pull the ball to the right side of the infield. A ball hit behind the runner means he doesn't have to hold up to avoid being hit by the ball. And a ball hit to the right side, even if it stays in the infield gives a runner at 2B a better chance to get to 3B.

Set your good hitting high bat control lefties to ++ on the hit and run and see if it works better.
FMcgriff1b

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Afreespirit thanks for the answer I was a little confused by that as well. Very good explanation.

I was also wondering about the catcher overthrowing the runner. What would affect the catcher overthrowing the base on steals. I would guess arm? Also I suppose fielding rating for catchers is more important with the changes in fielding bunts?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, it seems the changes are mostly geared to making the decision on who to put at catcher more difficult than just plopping the best cannon arm on the team back there regardless of other skills and position experience (or whatever the letter is called).

Edit: My guess is the overthrows will happen with players without the big or small "C" because currently catcher is the only position where that doesn't cause a higher chance of errors.

Updated Wednesday, February 18 2015 @ 6:23:17 am PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ah. I didn't read it that way.

I might change my hit and run settings from -- and X to see how it works now. I didn't use it because all it did was prevent a double play when contact was made. The goofy thing about that was it still threw out the lead runner, while it made the batter safe. Totally backwards. And it didn't seem to improve the rate of getting the extra base for the lead runner either when there was a hit . Unless those things have changed as well I still don't think it will be worth utilizing.

admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Well, it’s not specifically trying to punish LH catchers. What we did was try to adjust the game engine so that fielding opportunities by position match MLB ratios. Some people had pointed out that center fielders were getting to many opportunities and there were too many fly balls overall. Additionally, we noticed that catchers weren’t getting many fielding opportunities overall (so they will get some especially on bunt plays) and their errors were non-existent. Hence we added the stealing overthrow play to try to bring that in line.

So we’re not specifically adding inexperienced or LH catcher penalties, but because catchers will get slightly more opportunities, they will be hit a little harder.

Steve
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So if we have a player with a lot of range and a lot of speed in CF will they still make a majority of the flyball attempts?

I.E. are the flyballs going to decrease, or is who fields them going to change?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I.E. are the flyballs going to decrease, or is who fields them going to change?

A little of both...

Steve
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Do these changes make range a more desirable skill on catchers?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Probably not range, but more fielding and catching experience.

Steve
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
My big arm big glove waddle to the plate catching prospects in my minors are pleased to hear this. :)

Thanks.

Previous Page | Show All |