Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Base Running Settings   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The current thread running about catchers got me started, but I decided to create a new thread instead of hijacking that one.

What would you think about having a single Base Running Setting for your team instead of individual settings?

My problem is I don't really understand the need, purpose or reason for player settings. They're confusing and, more importantly, I think they're approaching the process in the wrong fashion.

Coaches, primarily third base coaches for this topic, make a determination whether or not to have a runner attempt to get an extra base by considering everything that is going on with the play--where the ball is going to be fielded, the arm of the outfielder, the speed of the runner, and then things like how many outs there are, who's hitting next, and the score. Yes, it's a lot of data to process in a very short amount of time, but that's their job. Importantly, they're under the directive of the manager about how to make those decisions.

Each play the coach is considering the likelihood of getting the extra base and the odds of making an out. Based on the manager's preferences, he makes an instantaneous decision.

While the speed of the runner is part of that equation, making the right call isn't about whether or not he's fast or slow. What matters is the percentage of being successful. If the fastest runner in the world is given the go sign and only has a 25% chance of making it, the manager's going to be pissed. On the other hand, if the slowest runner in the world is waved onwards but has a 90% chance of making it, the manager would probably be fine with it.

It seems to me that the settings here are thinking about taking the extra base in the wrong way. The player's speed is actually just one factor of many in the coach's decision.

Updated Sunday, February 15 2015 @ 1:58:43 am PST
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Player speed may be just one factor, but it's a pretty important factor. :)

Your post suggests there is a certain level of risk that is acceptable in all contexts. That's not true. Tolerable risk varies depending on the situation.

Eg. Blue Jays fan. The base runners ahead of Bautista and Encarnacion are not as aggressive as the guys batting ahead of say ... Kawasaki. It is better risk/reward trying to stretch a single into a double when there is no power in the on deck circle.

Eg. 2. The number out. With 2 out, trying to score from 1st on a double is better risk/reward than with less than 2 out. I gave my old 5 speed 3B an X b/c of this play. In general, it's better to take the risk with 2 out, but he never made it, so not worth the risk in his case.

Some runners are just more aggressive (Lawrie, Reyes Jays examples). Individual settings allows you to replicate that.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think you skipped over my paragraph that started with "Coaches."

And what you're saying is exactly my point-the big picture needs to be considered in base running decisions, not just the individual player.

Regarding certain players tendencies, I agree with you, but you can be sure managers let players know when they've done something the manager didn't like. And there are first and third base coaches that the players better be listening to as well.

Updated Sunday, February 15 2015 @ 12:16:17 pm PST
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I read it. :). Felt it was contradicted by the "While the speed of the runner..." paragraph, which I gave priority. Apologies.

I don't see how one button for the team is superior to what we have already. The "go if you have a good chance of succeeding" is already baseline. Taking risks based on the number of outs is already in there. Individual settings allow me to tell the base coach which places in the batting order I want to be aggressive and which to be cautious.

If the individual settings are replaced by a team button, now the 3rd base coach is deciding who are my "Bautistas" and who are my "Kawasakis". How does he make that decision? Spot in the batting order? My 3rd base coach doesn't know who my best batters are with RISP. I do. (At least I think I do).

If you want to turn things over to your base coaches, you can do that. Leave all your base running neutral. 3rd base coach will make his best decision. Want the whole team aggressive? Put everyone on plus. Just takes a few more clicks, and gives those on us who want to give the base coaches a little more direction to do their job that opportunity.

And ya, managers may tell their players when they do something on the bases they don't like. It doesn't seem to stop guys from running through stop signs tho.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Right now, all the management setting are tied to individual players. Strongly considering incorporating some type of team management setting too...they just don't exist presently.

In the future, I could see there being team setting that could be overridden by settings for individual players.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |