Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> What Skillsets Do You Look for in a Closer?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe throwing out some example players we've had success with would help to establish some "types".

My closer has been very good at this level in the time I've had him in that role. He hits most of the major points that I look for and would be defined as my "type". Anybody have guys that are similar or completely different they've had good success with?
jdick1990

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I look for high velocity and control in all my pitchers, and my closer is the amped up version of that with low stamina.

http://brokenbat.org/player/70909

Hes been up and down since I brought him up and made him the full time closer. Still one of the best 11 pot players I've ever come across.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm with MukilteoMike. I rarely designate a closer. I figure he has the easy job. The guy coming in in the 7th with runners on base - that's the important guy.

If the pitcher has some experience, I'd be more inclined to look at his stats than his skills. Looking for low HR/inning, low BB/inning, low WHIP.

That does usually mean control. Think its sometimes overlooked that lower control also often means more HR surrendered. HRs are the #1 you want to avoid with your closer (IMO).
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think people undervalue stamina in a closer. I hear a lot of people saying just grab a low-stam guy and slap him at the end there.

This may not be a good idea. If you play a lot of closer games, your closer can end up pitching 3-5 games in a row sometimes. You don't want a guy with no stamina doing that because by the 3rd straight game, he'll be gassed and ineffective.

I personally would never ignore a guy with high stam when looking for a closer. I'm more concerned on his pitching abilities first and foremost and whatever his stamina level is, so be it. Even if it's like 12, that's just a gift. It doesn't mean he has to be a starter now (especially when I already have my rotation set)
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/64505 that's what I'd look for in a closer.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Great get. But probably not easy to come by a player like that
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Was released 3 times, not to hard to find when you look for it and train patiently.
Dcmrulz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/71968 this is the kind of guy I have for my closer. Good at the fastball. If I don't have a best SI non-SP, then a guy who is amazing at one or two traits/pitches will work.
Luizmussa

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like to put an aging but previously effective starter in the closer role. Usually keeping him there for 2 years at most.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I would say low stamina? Why? Well if you've got a great pitcher with stamina, he probably should be getting more innings as a starting pitcher. So your stud pitcher without stamina...he's a good closer candidate.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |