Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Potential   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Of course.

But POT isn't everything. I have a few 12 POT guys on my team who perform really well because of where those skill points are. For instance I have a pitcher who has really low change of speed, but his pitches are Fastball, Curveball, Slider. So his lack of points in change of speed don't hurt too much.

The previous owner of my team had lots of OFs who had lots of speed (POT 13s), but couldn't get into the .200 for average. If I saw a POT 14 guy with 20 Range, 20 Arm, and 20 Speed, I wouldn't touch him.

For the example you mentioned above it would depend on his other skills. He could end up with 4 Bat Control and 4 PD with that scouting report. That wouldn't make a very good hitter. But if his defensive skills are really bad, he might make a good DH. Personally the "good speed" report would turn me off of any POT 12.

Updated Monday, February 2 2015 @ 5:37:32 pm PST
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
When building a team it is just as useful to have some very high defensive players as very good batters. The key is finding the right balance. I disagree adamently, about the characterization of 14 pot with 20 speed, 20 range, and 20 arm. I would take a couple of those to play centerfield and shortstop any day. depending on their ability to get on base they would most likely be somewhere in the bottom half of my lineup. I would bet that someone who built a great hitting 12 pot team would have trouble making it above league IV, and some league Vs.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Potential relates to SI points.
Total SI, when properly and fully developed, divided by 8 (how many skills there are in Broken Bat)
In other words, the average.

The descriptions Good, Very Good, are based on a subset of those skills.
Some are not taken in consideration.
In my opinion, that's defense and speed.
But you better make your own observation, 'cause I ain't sure 'bout that
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, but for players that been around a bit your minors are going to be full of 12s.

@rock steve has said pitch selection doesn't, at this time, matter. It's planned for the future, but just for looks now.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The bars in BrokenBat represent the bottom of the range. Ie., a "12" is somewhere between 96 --> 103. A "13" is somewhere between 104 --> 111.

When a player has a lot of positive scouting and a lower potential bar, it suggests that player is at the upper end of the range. It could also mean some of the unscouted skills are low. (Or that the scouting is simply inaccurate). Have to keep an eye on the player.

I have this guy in my minors. I'm hoping his scouting means he is at the top end of his bar. But his BC hasn't moved much in 3 seasons. Starting to have some doubts.

As mentioned, often times the bigger bar means a better defensive player. Almost half my starting line-up are "12s", and they are some of my top contributors. None of them play key defensive positions. Looking at the potential bar is a good place to start, but there is definitely more to it than that.

Pitchers are a little more bar-is-king (stamina monsters and defensive savantes excluded). They also seem to be a little trickier to get to full potential.

Updated Tuesday, February 3 2015 @ 6:15:18 am PST
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Should add that the neat thing about this is that you don't really know what you have until they get to the majors.

(I'm currently watching to see if players that reach really high SIs b/f getting majors recommendations are more likely to be "top end" guys. Not sure there is any correlation.)
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It would be interesting to know that correlation. As I'm watching my minors now, I see stuff like a 71 SI guy who can't get a recommendation higher than Rookie ball and yet 59 SI guys that are supposedly perfect for AA. It can be a little confusing but I guess it leaves me hopeful that the 71 SI Rookie ball guy will be really good once he does make it to the majors.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
With position players, probably more a sign that they are speedy / good defensively. Little harder to tell. I've promoted 5 pitchers I think in the last season or so. Varying SI. Pretty small sample, but curious to see where they get.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
If a player 12 potential, and they have a positive scouting report, can they be better than a 14 pot player with a negative in the scouting report?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Lots of facts and caveats behind that answer.

#1) The max number of SI for the 14 POT guy will be higher/

#2) Just because a guy has 14 POT doesn't mean he will actually reach his potential.

#3) Depends on which skills you value. The POT score values all skills equally (1/2 for pitchers defensive skills), so 20 Speed = 20 Hitting according to the POT score. Not true in my book. I would definitely consider a 12 POT guy with a lot of batting ability and moderately low speed & defense better than a 14 POT guy with lots of Speed & Defense and a scouting report that says he will never be a good hitter.

Previous Page | Show All |