Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> declining player with crazy salaries   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
He's a second basemen who hit .334 with a .439 OBP and .550 SLG? Why shouldn't this guy demand a lot of money??

In Broken Bat, salaries are based on production more so than skill levels (like many other games). So when his production drops, his salary will too.

Steve
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
He's lefty, so not sure how he is a 2b. He is or should be an atrocious fielder with his 9 range. He is a 1b really. 10.7 million is absurd, but good luck to him finding someone to take that on.
mcrmoe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you look at his fielding history, he has done very well at 2B. Skills aren't 100% in line with production, at the end of the day I'll take a productive player over one with a high SI.

Moe
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Being a lefty isn't really as big a deal as people make it out. It just means he loses a half a second on his throw to 1B. Cuts down on a few DB, but its not like lefties can't play 2B. Plus, having a reasonable arm could still make him better at DBs than a righter with a really bad arm.

Range is determined at the team level. 2B probably has a significant impact on the team range level, but this hurts the team as a whole, not the individual player. He's not going to have a lot of errors because his fielding is reasonable.

Sure, given his range most people would stick him at 1B, but otherwise he's fine for 2B. Plus this guy is 35. Training new positions didn't get introduced until long after this guy was out of the minors.
Jynxed

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've got money to burn..and I'm desperate soooo I'll be the sucker to take that on lol.
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Lefty 6'6" 229 lb Second Baseman. Super realistic. I'm glad things have changed in the past few years around here.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The only unrealistic thing about this situation was the management... which you can't really account for on the part of the game itself. If you have a free-to-play game where anyone on the internet can grab a team and do what they want, you're going to encounter situations that don't line up with what you'd expect from the MLB.

Now if this game were only played by actual MLB managers exclusively, that player would have never been played at 2B. He would have been used at 1B (or OF?) if even given a chance at all.

But just because an MLB manager wouldn't make the move doesn't stop anyone playing this game from doing it and there's no reason to fault the game's accuracy because of what the manager decisions are.

There are a decent number of lefties who play IF in high school and even through college. They have to change their positions to get consideration from MLB teams to so much as go into their farm systems and that's why you don't see them playing those positions in the MLB. If the game is generating the player though and generates them at a high school or college level, it's completely realistic for them to be created that way. It would be what the drafting/signing team decides to do with the player beyond that which determines that player's future.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You can't really blame the managers. Remember the ability to retrain positions hasn't been around very long, and that guy is REALLY old. Moving forward you'll likely see less lefties playing SS as most people will retrain young lefties with good arms into outfielders.

Of course with the roster sizes we have its tempting to keep lefties just to platoon. The hitting value of a lefty against a RHP is greater then the defensive loss.
Jynxed

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Giving him a shot at dh but so far he's been a failure. Figured I would give him a chance since he was solid at the top level but so far looks like father time has caught up to him.
Snookbone

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
His vastly overinflated salary is mostly due to production for the Calgary Bison in the Maple League, which I'm guessing is an experimental league similar to the NCAA league? Anyway his salary is that high probably because he played what is technically Div. 1 ball in an uncompetitive league (because only 12 teams are in the Maple) and his stats and accolades go into the salary calculation

Previous Page | Show All |