Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Best Prospect   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
slugfest2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Bilbo:

I have never seen a minor player with higher than 85 or so SI! Don't you ever let them go!
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Marco Guzman oddly he hasn't gotten a nickname yet. At 15 pot and pluses across the board he is following in the footsteps of Doyle, but with a better arm. Scott Poole is a defensive monster with power and speed but unfortunately not even "good" hitting.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I have seven 15 potential prospects in my farm system. I only drafted one of those. The rest I got on waivers. Two this past offseason, both of which only had three claims on them. You just have to dig through the free agents available every few days. You'll find some gems.

How many of those you picked up would you rate as gems? I see 14s and 15s on waivers occasionally. I rarely put a claim in. There is often something wrong with them (which is why they are on waivers).

Park is 22 and in A ball. 59/120 SI. 0/17* hitting. 1/18* power. 3/17* fielding. Bautista is 21 and in Rookie ball. 46/120 SI. 43 of his 46 SI are in arm, speed and range. I would rate both these guys as long shots.

Not trying to discourage you or MukilteoMike, but the gems that make free agency are usually fairly heavily contested.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Both longish shots for sure. I have several 14 potential minor leaguers I'd rate ahead of both of those guys. Maybe even a couple 13 potential guys.

I'm two deep at every position in the minors. The biggest hole was at catcher, so that bumps Park up if he can be a solid all-around catcher when he's 27 - 30. Bautista is more of a low cost investment. If he turns into something, great. If not, I can move on from him without too much regret. I'm basically counting these two as my first and second draft picks of this season, as my actual picks where wastes.

As to the 15's I've picked up off of waivers, I would say Luna, Lowe and Munoz are the most promising. I don't have any doubts about Luna and Lowe developing into top-notch pitchers. Munoz may be a bit more of a struggle to develop, but I'll give him all the time available to do so.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I should admit I have very little experience training guys with monster SI bars.

I look at a guy like Carr who managed to add 16 SI in a season as a position player. I never see single season jumps like that with my 12s and 13s (position players).

Maybe experience gains scale with the gap between current and potential, and those guys aren't as long a shot as I think. (Makes me feel better about my Butler).
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I feel like the case is closed on pitchers. At least for me. They can gain huge SI if they get the innings regardless of how they looked when I picked them up. Position players have been trickier for me.

I have several pitchers I can point to that came to the majors with my club with mid-sixties SI that reached 100+ in their second full season or a bit beyond. I don't have that with position players. They don't seem to be as volatile as pitchers instead they've had steadier, but frustrating, gains over far longer stretches.

I've not been able to get away from relying of a few key free agents to add some punch to the lineup while waiting for "Great hitters" and "Prolific Sluggers" to develop those traits. For the most part, I'm still waiting. Meanwhile, I have pitchers I picked up as underdeveloped longshots that have gone on to develop into reliable starters and Cy Young candidates. Just one of those quirks of the game that we have to adjust to I guess.

Updated Sunday, January 25 2015 @ 8:23:40 am PST
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya. Pitchers are a different beast.

The comment about experience scaling with gap was off-the-cuff. My 12s and 13s have shown 5 week pops when gaining experience in the majors. Carr's monster gain season could be explained by the stars aligning - ie., all 5 trainable skills on the cusp of popping in week 1. Not extraordinary 4-5 week pops from there.

12s and 13s are likely to cap out a skill while still fairly young. Monster bar guys have room everywhere. I believe the trick - as you pointed out - is having decent enough starting SI / decent training rng to reach those big "great" hitting and "prolific" slugging limits.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
About the 14s and 15s (not that I've ever successfully claimed a 15), yes, they often have problems. I would take a fully developed 13 over them, but I've never successfully claimed any of them either.

When you're relatively new and building, you get what you can take. If I had to rely on my drafts, I would have already quit. They're generally horrible.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
And that's the heart of it. I don't know if it's universal, but many of us start with talent strapped rosters and we grab guys as we can that we hope can develop because you quickly learn the two seemingly more conventional means of acquiring talent, free agency and the draft, are luck based and, as such, completely unreliable.

The only place you can affect the outcome is by taking shots on imperfect prospects with the biggest potential possible. As time goes on, you upgrade those guys where possible, but these are still castoffs. I would much prefer to rely on draft picks, but I play with hand I'm dealt.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I was starting to feel sorry for you MukilteoMike. Then I looked at your minor league system. Now I feel a little sorry for me. :) You've done quite a nice job stocking the shelves.

Monsters are rare. You'll add more apples sooner or later.

Previous Page | Show All |