Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2020 Conclusions   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
mcrmoe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This was my first season in BB and I think things went well. Pitching was a mess coming into the season, a bunch of young guys with little experience but my team got better as the season went on. Going into next season I'll have a solid pitching rotation with a bullpen! (too many games were lost in the 7th+)

Updated Tuesday, December 23 2014 @ 4:12:48 pm PST
Luizmussa

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
well I got promoted to level IV with a somewhat very comfortable margin (the league was almost decided with 20-something games left), called-up a few of my best prospects, and got a very good rotation (even though very old).
I set a bar of ending the season among the 84 best ranked team and almost did that (not that anyone care, but its just a goal).
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Pitching was terrible and really prevented my team from finishing successfully as we faded down the stretch. My team was full of old guys and I've decided that one of my best pitchers in team history will be likely finishing his career after this season going onto 35. Also let go some subpar pitchers creeping on towards 35 and will try to go younger through minor leaguers and through the upcoming free agency period/waiver wire crapshoot.

Offense was good as my franchise star continues to put up consistent numbers at 33 years old. Some new players have also really grown and shown some new potential.

Lost almost $10 million this year, which is leading me to consider a management change since I am not going to happily pay my manager $3.8 million for a barely-above .500 season. Still considering giving him one more year though. I'd like to make a profit if possible and still win, but that might be a bit of a difficult thing to do.

Celebrated one year on the 22nd, which was somewhat cool.

Overall: C

Always open to advice from my more seasoned vets as well.
Ainsoph

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My goal for the season was to sit at .500 so I could develop my roster more. Instead, with very little management on my part, the team won the division and is looking to win the league and will get promoted to Legends for the next season.
Despite a feeble offense, my pitching staff was fairly dominant and it looks like i'll be able to retain almost the entire staff for at least a few seasons.
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@buff

If you are bleeding money there is no reason to keep a manager over minimum salary. I'm sure you can find one with the same stats.
Bucfan

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Just completed my first full season in Broken Bat. I inherited my team too late last season to change anything, other than fire the manager, so I just had to sit and watch as the Highlanders finished 64-96.

I had three goals for this season: get younger; have a better showing in the Cup; and finish .500 or better.

1. Get younger. Not too difficult, considering I inherited a team with a pair of 40-year-old pitchers, a 38-year-old closer and several other geezers. Most of the roster is 32 or below now, with the exception of a couple of NPs that are still productive. Accomplished.

2. Have a better showing in the cup. Went 10-10 and finished third. Had a chance to finish second in the final series, but failed. After a 4-16 showing in 2019, this goal was met.

3. Finish .500 or better. Thanks to playing in a weak division with 4 bots, we turned a 64-96 nightmare into a 99-61 Western Division championship in VI.4. Accomplished.

I set the bar rather low since it was my first season and all goals were met, and then some. The only real disappointment was in Finances. Because we were so horrible when I took over, this team was managing only about 4000 to 5000 in attendance at the beginning of the season. It wasn't until the second half of the season that the fans started to believe and began showing up to games. So, we're going to lose about $6 million this season, virtually all of that in the first half of the season.

One final positive ... while my farm system is not where I want it to be yet, we are in far better shape than this time last season. We drafted one 13, one 14 and one 15 potential player this season, as well as picked up a few free agents that could help down the road.
mytton

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Took over an ageing second place team mid season and managed to maintain decent results (joint second in division with over 90 wins) while jettisoning some of the many old and expensive players and blooding the few youngsters available.

Tricky decisions for next season, as a run at the division is not out of the question, but might not sit easily with my continued rebuilding plans. Chances of trying to do both and falling between two stools: high.
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
This year was a tale of 2 different seasons for me. A few guys who were superstars on my team in the past had huge declines. Reality kicked in and I dropped them after 200-300 at bats. The damage was already done, as by the all star break I was 10 games below .500. Then I got lucky with 2 waiver pick ups and got some youngish guys to replace the ones I dropped, and finished the season over .500 as a result. The emotional aspect of baseball really sucks--letting go of players that you love.

My prospects are developing well and I have a good base of 3 starting pitchers for the next 5 years at least, with more coming through the minors.
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
When your Ace has a 2.60 ERA, gives you 20 out of 28 QS and he still goes 11-10 and your team ends up 5 games out of the postseason, what can you really do?
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Going 111-49 just isn't good enough.

Not when the first place team wins 29 of 30 down the stretch.

Previous Page | Show All |