Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Calling up minor leaguers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a guy that was called up way too early that I picked up off of waivers: http://brokenbat.org/player/76128/L.

He's made OK gains since I picked him up, but his recommended level is still A ball at 24. Shame that he is basically a ruined player looking at the research that has gone on here. At least he can be a decent backup OFer for me at some point.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
If he spends a couple seasons in the minors, I guess he could add about 3 points each skill, to make him a useful, if not good, player
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Should this guy be promoted to the big league roster? http://brokenbat.org/player/89426

For a 23 year old, his skills are horrible. He will probably never reach his potential if I leave him in the minors until he is 25. My question is if it is worth it to promote him but NOT put him in my starting rotation. Instead, I would put him as my RHP.

I have put my underdeveloped rookie pitchers as RHP the past 2 seasons, and that position has yielded ~90 innings for the season. Is this enough for this pitcher to get the necessary amount of exp he needs to eventually reach his potential?
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This guy is more underdeveloped than your previous 2, correct? With a single A recommendation he will probably end up with 80 SI and brick if you call him up.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My guess is, he will never reach his potential, period. 80, maybe, being optimistic...
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
But for him to reach 80...do I need to call him up now and play him as RHP or is that position not going to give him enough exp to make a real difference?
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball

Updated Tuesday, January 13 2015 @ 12:40:36 pm PST
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd either drop him or leave him in the minors and pray for a miracle season. If you need the roster spot, he'd be the first to go.

I have two 23 year old pitchers with 13 potential who currently only have 53 SI. I was thinking of releasing them, but I'm not familiar enough with player progression yet to know what to do with them either.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I can't give definitive numbers, but I can say this much, the most SI I've seen gained by a reliever on my team from major league experience in the critical first year was about 15-20. A starting pitcher who averages 5-6 innings I've seen get 20-25. I've seen relievers gain far less than that too. Take it for what you will...

I agree with garfscores and all the others on if you are keeping him, to keep him in the minors at least one more season btw.

Updated Tuesday, January 13 2015 @ 6:21:48 pm PST
Dcmrulz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
From my experiences with pitching development, it's the age 24-26 seasons that seem to be the biggest boost in development. Innings count a lot for how far you get, but at that level, I would give it a few weeks into the season to see if he can gain about 2-3 stats a week. If he cannot after say 4 weeks, let him go because it probably won't grow by enough to be of any serious use.

Previous Page | Show All |