Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Bot Performance Boosters   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm completely dumbfounded how the team in my division that is tied with me can be doing what they're doing. For the nine hitting/fielding positions, the opposition has one player that is clearly better than mine. I have four that are slightly better and four that are significantly superior than the other team. Our starting pitchers are almost identical, but my bullpen is far better. All of those are ratings based; the stats say/do something entirely different. Here are the four standout "cheating" examples.

On offense, I'll list the four hitting ratings and join them with the OPS of the player.

Their guys 9/9/5/9 .791 OPS and 9/10/11/9 .866 OPS.

My two best offensive players are 12/11/15/14 .804 OPS and 8/15/17/14 .796 OPS.

For pitching, I'll list the four pitching ratings and their actual ERA and BAA with them.

Their arms 8/9/7/7 1.30 .149 and 13/9/7/9 2.85 .229.

My two guys are 16/15/8/18 2.53 .223 and 14/12/15/13 3.98 .250.

My guys should dominate those other players, but they're worse. If it was 20 games into the season that would be one thing; we're past the 70% mark, though. I can come up with no explanation other than bot teams have performance boosters. Maybe they're allowed to take steroids and PEDs?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Welcome to what I've been saying for several seasons... some results even over fairly long stretches of time just don't make sense. I'll say the same thing people have said to me, they're just prolonged aberrations that will even out over time.
Snookbone

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Setting all of my lineups to default at the end of a lost season a while back sparked an incredible winning streak for me - maybe the default management settings correlate closely with the optimal way to score runs on this game engine?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
The default (bot) line-ups don't use anything more than the scouted skills values and only the information available to each and every human manager.

I suspect, that in some cases, people make poor defensive choices which result in under performing teams.

Steve
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Frankly, I don't see your problem. While Hoffmann and possibly Thompson are your only pitchers I'd feel good about putting on a mound, you have a league-best team ERA, under 3.0. That's while your 4-man-rotation forces Orozco to start today although he's not fully rested. I'd move Hoffman into the rotation rather than waste his monster curveball and changeup on low-leverage innings in middle relief. Individual pitcher ERAs can easily fluctuate by 1.0 or more from season to season, especially for relievers. My ace of the last four seasons, Max Harris http://brokenbat.org/player/62850, is currently the worst in my rotation, going 9-11 with a 4.77 ERA and a .288 BAA.
Similarly, you have only two batters with good hitting (>=14), and one of them only joined the team in August (Fernandez, while not much of a catcher, should give your offense a nice boost for the rest of the season - I just cut him because he's expensive and may not have much left next season). Still, your team batting average is a decent .270, and your team OPS would have been second highest in the MLB this year. Of Parkersburg's two overperforming hitters you cite, Davenport sure has a hot streak, but he only had 229 AB so far, half of what a regular player would have. Yokoyama is a pure lefty platoon hitter who gets pinch hit for nearly every time he would face a lefty pitcher, which can give a serious boost to a player with a large platoon split (forget his VLHP, that's only 3 hits).
And again, luck does play a role when it comes to individual players. On my team, Xavier Velez's http://brokenbat.org/player/67198 OPS has come down by .125 since last season in the same league and by .250 since the season before, a league below (which was quite similar to the one I'm in now in skill level), and there is no logical cause to be seen (he had no visible age decline and is platooned just like before). His CF platoon partner Cheng Hu http://brokenbat.org/player/68225, with rather mediocre hitting skills, on the other hand, has exceeded my expectations in all four seasons I've had him, but as he starts only against righties, that may just be exploiting his .090 career platoon split.
Looking at the overall skills on the rosters, I would rate Parkersburg's pitching and hitting quite similar to yours. In the results, they're slightly ahead on offense, while you're slightly ahead on defense. Why not?
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
By the way, your generally mediocre pitchers are clearly profiting from the all-around excellent defense behind them. I'd love to have some of those guys' range and arm - just not their bats...
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
For the record, I was just kidding about the bots cheating. That's why I mentioned steroids and PEDs.

I had Hoffman in the rotation earlier, but due to his low control he rarely made it past the fifth inning (too many pitches). I think I get better use out of him in the pen for close games.

I've only been here a few months, so I was forced to rebuild with whatever I could get. That has ended up being a mostly defensive team, which I don't mind. They resemble my beloved Kansas City Royals just without the speed. Hopefully I'll be able to improve the bats over time.

Guys like Fernandez I picked up recently simply to try to win the division. He's my short term guy to help with the sluggish offense.

I appreciate your comments. Thanks!
Miguel14

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What player in the game has the most career HR's? I'd be very interested to know because I got one player who is approaching his 200th HR.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Home Run leaders

Steve
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe I should have commented about this before. Since that earlier post my Panthers have gone 13-2 while the Turtles have gone 7-6. Maybe it put the fear in them.

Feel free to try a similar approach with your situation. Mileage may vary.

Previous Page | Show All |