Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Hiring more staff   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not going to argue too forcefully because I don't feel all that passionately about the financial side of the game other than I feel like there should be a financial side.

As far as how the waiver system would change, I, for one, would do things differently if I din't have any reason to consider salaries. As it is, I don't put claims on guys with salaries higher than 2 mil unless they're a truly special player.

Without money in the game, I may come to the conclusion that roster spots are more important than minor leaguers. This would allow me to put in a dozen claims a day on 100+ SI players. Winning seven to ten percent of those claims, my team becomes a slow starting team that starts to crank it up in the second half of each season just to purge the underachievers and start the same process over the next season. I don't think that strategy is entirely ridiculous in a world without financial consequences. Until someone tries it, we just don't know that mercenary ball wouldn't be the more successful than farm ball.

For myself, I like to work within the constraints of an economy of some sort. Makes winning more satisfying.
mduban4

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I felt like there needs to be some financial aspect to the game, but I'm starting to think mig's suggestion of eliminating it altogether could be good.
Maybe yearly salary caps (something MLB should have added years ago) instead of having the finances grow to crazy numbers over many seasons bringing about the necessity of those franchise fees. But then again that could be difficult to implement and I could see potential problems arising.
Overall, I think gameplay would still be fine keeping finances or eliminating them. I would probably lean towards some economics (which play a crucial role in building a team in MLB).
I really don't know though, it's a close call for me
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What's the point in a game about hiring players to build a team, if you don't have to think about paying them? You can play the lottery if you want that.
I appreciate Steve's efforts to make the waivers and free agency less of a crapshoot by creating some financial pressure. I think there would be smarter ways of implementing that, but it's the right direction to go.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Haselrig, good point. I wouldn't try it as I look to long term sustainability as my first priority from habit, however, if that strategy allowed teams to win, I could see the game becoming very frustrating quickly. Especially since the teams following that strategy would not be contributing any positive prospects to the player pool, but rather simply be pure drains on talent (i.e. farm system players would develop players which would be picked up by merc, but merc would contribute nothing for farm system player).
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
It's the unintended consequences that concern me. We just don't know how things would work in that scenario. Some are more optimistic than I would be. I think we're better off nudging things to improve them than we are with big, sweeping changes like eliminating the economic aspects of the game would be.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As is the case with most ideas, the money issue has two sides of the coin. You can insist your head knows which is the better side, only to find your tail getting kicked very soon thereafter.

Both sides can be defended fairly well. As was said above, I think continual assessment and slight tweaks are the way to go.
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You guys have no fear from this game without any economy.

The scaremongering scenario Haselrig pictured is completely unrealistic, not to say impossible.

First of all, there aren't that many 100+ SI different players every day now, to put claims on, and there wouldn't be in case there was no finances.

Second of all, without any money constraints, there would be many more claims in the market, especially for those players that could really make a difference, so no team would be able to stock pile them.

Third, even if there were that many players in free agency, that wouldn't be a problem either. As more and more teams started focusing on free agency, and as the years went by and players declined with age, the average SI in free agency would start dropping.

At some point development of players would start paying off, and teams would switch to farming players again.

It's supply and demand 101. Rabbits and foxes.

And people should stop comparing broken bat with MLB. MLB is first and foremost about business and entertainment.

Playing an MLB simulation game is playing a corporate simulation game.

Broken bat is supposed to be a baseball simulation. Don't forget that.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
And people should stop comparing broken bat with MLB...

Broken bat is supposed to be a baseball simulation. Don't forget that.

Mig, you're funny. Here's a question for you, because maybe I'm mistaken, did you create and develop Broken Bat? If the answer is no, I don't think you can talk about what Broken Bat is supposed to be. You can voice your opinion, but that's all it is. It seems obvious to me that at some point the developer wanted to incorporate a financial aspect of the game, otherwise it wouldn't be present.
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Fair enough. Those big letters on the top of the page sometimes can make you assume things.

I'm well aware I'm not the creator nor the developer of this game and I'm pretty sure it can be whatever the creators want it to be regardless of what I or any of you say in here.

But I'm playing here long enough to have watch things being removed from the game and others being introduced, so just because there were finances in the beginning doesn't mean there has to be any of that in future.
Dcmrulz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If I were to have staff, I'd probably turn developing/training players into the role of the coaches:

I'd have a Pitching Coach that would work in this way:
-Give him attributes for how well he can develop speed (CoS and Vel), Command (Con and Mov) and Conditioning (Sta) as well as how well he can coach minor leaguers and major leaguers

I'd put in a Hitting coach that could have attributes like:
Giving him training attributes for:
-Hitting ability (Hit)
-Fundamentals (PD and BC)
-Fitness (Pow and Spd) as well as a talent level for coaching major and minor leaguers

And also put in a Bench Coach that can handle the fielding attributes:
-Fielding for fielding, Long toss for Arm, and I guess drills for range, same major/minor split as well

How those coaches work could be like how the managers normally work: salary based on team success and whatnot.

Previous Page | Show All |