Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Defense with multiple runners on   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
With bases loaded, infielders always throw home (I think). In most real world situations they would try for a double play. The value of that second possible out in one play is huge.

Runners on first and second, again, the double play attempt generally would be the right play. They're far too interested in the lead runner here. Balls hit to the right side still get thrown to third, which virtually never happens in MLB.

Last one, this one just with runners on first. On hit and runs, if the ball isn't hit to the fielder who is covering second for the possible steal, the grounder should normally move the runner to second and retire the batter. I can't seem to find any examples of this happening with my team, but there are numerous examples of the guy getting thrown out at second and the batter getting to first. I'm hoping a successful hit and run simply isn't stated in the game when it happens (which I find strange if that is the case).

The bases loaded scenario is the one that is the most annoying because it is the most significant and most frequent.

Updated Monday, November 24 2014 @ 9:57:34 am PST
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I'm confused by the first scenario...are you saying they should go home or go for the double play?

In real baseball, it's a fairly complicated decision. Usually in a close game, a defense will play in slightly if they are trying to get the runner at home. Otherwise, they'll go for the double play.

Steve
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I understand that bases loaded is complicated. It seems to not be at all here because I think they always (?) throw home and don't go for two.

On the second scenario, runners on first and second, I was saying I find it odd that on a grounder to second or first they still go for the lead runner instead of trying for the double play. It would be extremely unusual to see that in real life.

Updated Tuesday, November 25 2014 @ 7:44:50 am PST
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/game/1468700
In this game, they went for the double play
While the winning run scored
In the bottom of the 10th
Obviously, a mistake

Bottom 10th: Laredo
  Arredondo takes the mound to pitch.
  Serna comes in to pinch hit for Ricci.
  Serna hits a double to right field.
  The outfield is playing shallow.
  Robinson hits a single to right field. Serna advances to third base.
  The infield draws in and outfield is playing shallow.
  Ellis grounds to short stop. Robinson is thrown out at second by Poole. Ellis is thrown out at first by second baseman Stephens for a double play. Serna comes in to score.
Toledo 2, Laredo 3
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Despite what the defense lines up for, once the ball is hit play becomes defined more by the placement of the ball. Not every infield hit is a good double play opportunity. The throw from 1B to 2B is blocked by the runner. If the guy going to 2B is fast with a lead, and the guy going to 3B is slower, its an easier throw to 3B. Granted the majority of the time you're making the throw to 2B, its just not guaranteed, and you can't really see enough in text to tell everything that went behind the decision of where to throw the ball. Also players make mental errors (especially if they are playing out of position). Are you seeing the 1B/2B throwing to third over second a lot? Are they making the play? Its better to have one out and guys on 1st and 2nd than one out and guys on 1st and 3rd.

Updated Tuesday, November 25 2014 @ 4:58:34 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |