Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Pitching success   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
ramar905

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/team/3

Can someone explain the success of this team's pitching staff, because it seems unexpected?

Is pitching heavily reliant on the range of a team's OFs? That's the only advantage I see.

I am asking because I am experiencing a great deal of difficulty in getting performances from my pitchers that reflect their abilities. I've tried over a number of seasons to no avail and even though my pitchers have as good or better SI's than other pitching staffs they continue to get hammered. I've improved overall positional fielding and OF range. I've tried moving fences back and increasing foul territory but I continue to get outpitched by inferior opponents league wide.

Tell me your success stories and how you've gotten quality pitching from your staffs.
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd love to know as well. I've never had great RP, but my quality starters never do as well as they should.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I didn't see anything that can explain the huge disparity. Your guys issue 1.1 more walks a game, but that isn't that bad. Amazingly you both strike out the opposition at the same exact rate (to the one-hundredth of a k per 9 ip). Yes, his outfielders are considerably better than yours defensively, but his middle infield is horrible.

I have two guesses (and they are nothing more than guesses). One, it's not a large sample size. Two, the team ratings on his side are about 12 points lower than your half. Your pitchers might be facing a bit better competition.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
One more thing just occurred to me...stamina. I see you've been forced to use two emergency starters recently; their stamina is horrible and you need to lower their pitch counts in a big way. They're likely to get crushed in their last innings.

I'd also suggest checking out the last couple innings of all your starters. If they are giving up more than their fair share of runs late, lower their number of pitches a bit. You have more than enough arms to cover those relief innings.

Previous Page | Show All |