Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Stud or Dud?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You completely missed my entire point, not that he should cut him, but that at 20 years old, 28 SI has a long ways to go to get to the majors even with low defensive skills.
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Given his potential, I don't 10 si a year should easily happen for him. So I think 40 si from 21-24. Plus whatever error he gets this year. I think you will like have a low 70 at 25 with lots of room to grow. If you have space and want to allocate that spot to him for 5 years I think he can be useful. But I doubt he will get to the stud range. I'd guess a number 5 starter. With a number 3 upside.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
10 a year as a minor leaguer may be pushing it, based on the fact that he has been on minor league rosters for almost two full seasons and is only at 28 SI now including the stats that don't change. Unless he started with nothing in any category outside arm and range hoping for 10 per season would require an improvement in training speed over what he got the last two seasons. Not to say it can't happen, but I think that is an optimistic estimate.

Updated Saturday, November 15 2014 @ 7:31:18 pm PST
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
No, I concede your point newtman. My contention is that people tend to discount young pitchers with low SI but high potential. I think it's desirable to have pitchers with low defensive skills and plenty of room to develop over a prospect with high teens in arm and range who look better at first blush, but won't have as much room for development of their pitching skills. As long as Morales' SI is in the mid sixties or so by the time he gets to the majors he should, with playing time, reach his full potential of around 105 or 110 SI. Since his scouting report has a positive remark about stamina, he should be a solid starter after a couple of seasons in the majors.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Kang Dae Park is also struggling in the minors mightily. Will he become a good pitcher once he hits the majors?
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think minor stats really matters a lot, so far.
Don't judge a player b/c of his numbers in the minors.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hasel, I see. Though I'd contend that since Steve has said that range is currently factored cumulatively for everyone on the field rather than individually that having a high range/fielding pitcher is not really bad or undesirable. I have plenty of low SI/high potential pitchers in my minors at any given point, so I didn't think it necessary for me to say that people shouldn't cut them due to SI when they are young.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
That'd probably come down to each owners philosophy. I'd opt for the stacked pitching skills myself. Particularly in 12 or 13 potential prospects. I think going the other way and searching out defensively gifted pitching prospects is just as valid a philosophy. Until somebody sees definitive advantages to one approach over the other anyway.

Most lower SI pitchers I've seen still have ranges around 10. If your SS or an OF has an 18 or 19 range, it should even out to a decent average for the whole defense even with pitchers who are defensive stiffs :)
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Let me offer what my actual philosophy for my pitchers is as a third option... completely ignoring the defensive values. If they happen to be good on defense, great, if they don't happen to contribute positively to defense, too bad, but it doesn't matter. If someone happens to care one way or the other, more power to them, but it should not be assumed that everyone does or should (unless it can be positively attributed to caring about it one way or the other is a necessary condition to doing well in the game, which has not been proven).

Updated Sunday, November 16 2014 @ 3:35:35 pm PST
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Like I said, to each his own. What it boils down to for me is SI allocation. There's only so much to go around. I'd just rather have that extra five SI or so go to control. If we all picked guys based on the same criteria, then the game wouldn't be half as interesting ;)

Previous Page | Show All |