Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Draft Day 11/14/14   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jynxed

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I tend to agree with Newt, I dunno if it's just random bad luck or if the smaller pool somehow triggered this.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I should clarify, I know it is bad luck that I am seeing 0 very good or 13+ potential prospects every week. My contention is that when we had larger pools the depletion never took away all the good prospects, so you could pull a great guy in the last week even if you had terrible drafts the first 9 weeks, whereas now that the pools are smaller if you have shoddy luck the first 3 or 4 weeks you are highly unlikely to pull a 14 potential guy in week 10 the way I did last season. There just aren't enough high quality prospects.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How many would be "enough"?
One could not find a star caliber player every week, even though everyone would like to.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
true mec,but at the same time no team is so cursed to never get a single star from the draft.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Newtmans point was, with the larger pool you were less likely to find a star prospect in the first two or three rounds, but you had better chances of still finding someone decent in the tenth round. So those of us who weren't lucky enough to hit pay dirt so far this season have little to hope for until next season starts. With two high potentials and two duds so far, I can't really complain, but my hope that there will be something even vaguely decent in the six rounds that are yet to come is fading fast. Now imagine you've been away on a family vacation for the first three draft rounds...
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Mec, it's not about finding a star every week, it's about the chance of finding a star after mid-season having gone from a decent percentage chance to looking like near impossible. For those that didn't find a star in the first four weeks it screws them over big time forcing them to have to use free agency to pick up the even slimmer pool of serviceable prospects.

Holmes, exactly, thank you.

My guess is Steve is trying to make 11 and 12 potential guys needed again, the problem is the talent imbalance won't get worked out this way for 5 to 8 seasons at least as the people who are already set up nicely won't feel the pinch til a decent percentage of their current roster retires and their minor league reserves start drying up.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The pure randomness of drafts is one of the reasons why I think we need a true draft for the first one each year. The studs, at least, would then be evenly distributed.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ok Newt, I hadn't understood what you meant.
We'll see.
Should be true, i'd agree with you.
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
anyway, 12 SI guys are not so bad, especially for pitcher with low fielding skills and DH type hitters.

example, Lorenzo Rangel

Or, for the hitters Samuel Poole.

I know, i'd love a team full of 14/15 Si guys too, but we have to settle on what luck has given us :D
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I worry how competitive some of these guys would be should the team they are on get promoted to league level I (Legends) or II. My closer is 11 potential and shuts guys down at league level VI and V for one inning, but I wonder if he'd do the same consistently in Legends (pretty sure answer is no).

Previous Page | Show All |