Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Draft Day 11/7/14   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I know the draft has to be random, but I've been playing for more than one full season and had exactly one no-brainer keeper from the draft. I'm guessing the average length of a good BB player is 8 seasons. To be a good team you need roughly 20 good players, which means you need to get 2.5 good players a season. Taking the final step, that means I'm hitting less than .400 of what I should be; that would be fantastic if I was a BrokenBat hitter, but it's pathetic as an owner.

Of course I also have a problem with my scouts. Can I please get some new ones? The guy I chose this time was scouted with good potential. What? There's zero chance this guy is good. What the heck?

http://brokenbat.org/player/97727

Updated Friday, November 7 2014 @ 11:47:07 am PST
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I understand that feeling for sure. My first season was terrible draft after terrible draft. Last year was better, but not enough to build a team from. This year, I got the best position player prospect I've had draft or waivers and one of the best pitching prospects in my system. He's the prototype of what I would order if I could. The draft pick I cut in between those two was a quality prospect too. My contention is that millage may vary. I don't know that it's directly related to the draft pools being reduced.

If I had my pick of experiments to run, I would choose to greatly expand each team's minor league roster and put the draft back to it's previous size. Cap the total number of major league roster spots, while having enough minors to fill each minor league level with a full squad. That would allow for owners to really sift through and refine their prospects to get the best major league squad possible. It'd also suck up a lot of the 12 and 13 potential free agents that are rotting on their couches right now.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
11 potential blocks is the bottom end of the "good potential" possible range. I pulled one very similar to him today, and immediately cut him, as I do anyone under 12 potential blocks. Scout is fine, just shoddy luck, much like me. Though I'd say that with so many people having shoddy luck that the pool is too darn small.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh, and Garf, the Killer Bees would have probably been quite pleased with the player you listed. I think something went awry with your link. I'm fairly certain this is the stingerless bum you meant to gripe about...

http://brokenbat.org/player/97794

And Favuz, seriously? You're bad mouthing your 14 potential draftee because he isn't a pitcher? Wow. Must be nice.

Updated Friday, November 7 2014 @ 12:01:02 pm PST
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Funny thing about your draft pick MukilteoMike is that if you chose to keep him and fully develop him then released him at 27 years old, there'd be 75 waiver claims on him.

Updated Friday, November 7 2014 @ 11:57:31 am PST
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
MulkiteoMike obviously I was joking, i put the smile on purpose :D .

The only thing i complain is that in 3 season plus this i took a lot of great players, but only hitters.

I have only 3 good pitchers in my minors, and one of them is a very good prospects with 12 SI (but very low fielding skills).

but probably it's only bad luck :D

Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
feel better now that I am not the only one who's scouts keep giving great reviews for players I draft and then immediately cut because their pot. doesn't come close to lining up.I have not had a 12 pot. even.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Keep plugging away Jason2327. You'll hit on one or two per season. I've always gotten at least one 14 potential player via the draft each season I've played.
Bucfan

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Drafted and released this guy last Friday: Joel McKinney.

13 prospect with the starting skills of the little fat kid who sat at the end of the bench picking his nose on your Little League team.

Updated Monday, November 10 2014 @ 5:37:15 am PST
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, his control is lacking (which is grounds to not draft/cut him in my book) otherwise, he has an "A" in the most important area (stamina) for a starter. Everything else, except his range being too high, is plus as well. If it wasn't for that control issue, he'd be a quality #4 or #5 starter in a lower league by the time he's 25 or 26 years old.

Previous Page | Show All |