Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Minor League Games   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MrTwoPlums

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
First off, this is awesome. I love the additions we don't really see coming and this looks great. Thanks Steve.

I believe what Steve means by random is that all our players are scattered around and not on the same teams, so if you have two 2B in AA you probably don't have to worry about them competing with each other for playing time. But they will most likely be competing with guys from other teams. That's why we're seeing variation in games started and such. Some of our guys are good enough on their teams to be starters, some are backups.

Holmes- Players at each level are playing with and against only players at their same level. So theoretically we're getting a glimpse of how they fare against opponents of similar abilities and we don't have to worry about AAA guys beating up on the Rookies and skewing stats.

One big question I do have is does this affect training in any way? I'm assuming it's business as usual and this is something extra for minor leaguers and not actually tied to training/experience.

And just because that horse ain't dead yet...

Maybe we can buy minor league franchises one day down the road. That's something I'd like to spend my money on.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
The minor league total statistics for your teams don't mean much (since the games are made up of randomly assembled players). Don't try to total your wins or games started and wonder why some other team has more games started.

Players are only matched up against other players from their level. You can see an example of one of the games: Single-A Game

Maybe we can buy minor league franchises one day down the road. That's something I'd like to spend my money on.

How would this work?

Steve
gadzooks

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe you could pay a substantial annual fee for a minor league system and have expanded rosters that would play minor league seasons with your own minor leaguers? (And pick up players from other teams when short.) Probably too much though.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm in full agreement with TwoPlums, the biggest question is if it impacts training. Will the number of games played at a position be how we can measure their development for that new position or is it purely cosmetic? I'm suspicious of really being able to determine anything skill wise due to sample sizes and not knowing the skillset a player is going against. (I understand it's the same minor league level, but the variance in each level is huge.)
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
In general, players will try to be positioned at the position requested, but may be pressed into service elsewhere depending on the makeup of the random-selected team. But that happens in real baseball all the time.

In terms of training, there is no link between minor league game playing time and minor league training.

Steve
MrTwoPlums

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, it would be a bit like it is now with the minor league simulations, but instead of random rosters every game, it would be actual minor league teams that our players are playing for. That way not only can we follow the progress of our players, but it'd be fun to follow the teams they play for as well.

Draftees and players would be assigned randomly to a new team at each level, or maybe determined by positional needs of teams, but they will always go back to the same team they were with before if they go back down or up. Whether the teams are setup in divisions, leagues, or if it's a free-for-all, I guess that depends how many teams need to be be created for each level.

Now this could be all moot. I don't know how much work this would involve or how/if it conflicts with what's already been done, and I'm certainly not trying to say "That's cool Steve, but scrap it and do it this way." So if this jives in no way with what you've got going forward let me know. But if something like this may be possible down the road I think that would be pretty cool.

Now for the ownership part.
For a sizable fee these teams could be purchased by us. All our players at that level would transfer to that team, but the only other control over the roster we would get is setting the lineups, pitching and management settings, with possibly the exception of signing "career minor leaguers*" to fill holes if needed. If someone has a player on a human controlled team and they don't like the playing time their guy is getting, they could have the option to force a transfer for that player to another team so people don't bury other people's players, not that training would be affected in any way.

*Career minor guys are those free agents we want to disappear from the free agent list.

Now this wouldn't be able to happen until the current economy issues are resolved. But after that, this might be something that could be used as a money sink going forward to prevent teams from getting too rich again.

So there it is. Probably a colossal waste of time writing all that out, but what the hell.
Peekay

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Love the addition of Minor League stats!

Steve I really feel this game is at a point where you should start to receive some reward for your effort.

I would pay for a subscriber option and would suggest minor league stats as the first obvious "premium" feature for subscribers!
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the clarification, Steve. I got a different impression from what you wrote and from the first results from my minors system. If the lesson is that my AAA and AA players are actually performing well compared to players on their own level, I'll just be happy and not worry about the not so exciting performance on the bottom levels.
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Kind of agree with Peekay. Steve would you not at least consider accepting donations to cover the hosting costs if new features are becoming more resource intensive?

I know you want to keep the playing field level so not sure about premium features, but speaking for myself I've put more hours into this than I did into games I'd spend £50 a time on a few years ago, so would be more than happy to contribute; as I'm sure would others.
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As long as franchises with minor league teams don't get any training or playing experience advantage over franchises without minor league teams, I don't have a problem with those.

Previous Page | Show All |