Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2020 Cup - Joy, Whining, Cryes   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
the Gulls

I like the random match ups in the knockout rounds

Updated Saturday, November 15 2014 @ 10:06:31 am PST
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In the European soccer Champions League (that is actually a cup with a group phase and a complex qualification system linked with the 2nd tier UEFA Cup ahead of that), the eight groups are filled in a seeding mechanism that makes sure there is exactly one of the eight highest rated teams and not more than one team per country in each group. Out of the 32 teams in the groups, 16 advance to the knockout phase, which is then completely random. The rules are a mess, and every change to them is a haggle about who sees an opportunity to make money from something, which invariably makes the rules weirder. I don't think we want anything like this.
The national cup in Germany is purely knockout with random couplings, so it can happen that the top two Bundesliga teams face off in the first round while a team advanced to the finals without having faced an opponent above second league. The only manipulation is that teams from the lower leagues always get home field advantage, which is always a big show when Bayern München has to play in some small town where the stadium can admit less than 10000, most of them standing. Much more fun, if you ask me.
I was eliminated yesterday by a League IV team you all know, although some may think (like I did) they are just a dummy while you're not logged in: The Cincinnati Titans actually exist, very much to my dismay... ;-)
Luizmussa

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
UEFA Champions League actually seeds the 1st place teams against 2nd place teams in its first knockout round. And no teams from the same country may face each other. After that, then, it is completely random.
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
We should have something like this in the Cup. Finishing top of the group table should mean something, and at least the group winners should be seeded for the next round draw. Only after that should the draw be completely random.
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The Gulls just eliminated the Durham Bulls from Cup play and will again face the proverbial powerhouse Thunder Bay a Raiders in the next knockout round for the second season in a row.

Thunder Bay was eliminated in the 2nd round last season by the Gulls, who are looking to improve on their quarter final finish in the 2020 Cup run,
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Congratulations to Thunder Bay Red Raiders, and to all who met or exceeded their expectations in the cup this season.

Looking forward to our next chance. :)

Updated Monday, December 8 2014 @ 3:42:08 pm PST
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
... and those who's teams underperformed?

*cough*Raleigh*cough*

Looking forward to hopefully making the KO stages again in 2021. This season was nothing short of embarrassing, though someone has to go out in the group stage... it's all about the matchups and random number generation in the short series that are the cup.
MrTwoPlums

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Seca. I've been waiting a long time to see purple in my trophy case.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
... and congrats to Chris Lamb for getting that first "1" in the cup win line. That looks like a storied career that will probably never be matched.
Dcmrulz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Great cup this season. Managed to make it to the final four before losing in a tough 3 games to Thunder Bay.

Previous Page | Show All |