Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Draft Day 10/24/14   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock, defense is important and speed does help. If you get a team full of great hitters who are shoddy defenders you will only go so far. As long as he doesn't have a negative comment about hitting he should max between 9-12, not good, but not bad either.

Updated Friday, October 24 2014 @ 11:55:39 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
msigg, I would keep him solely because he's a lefty pitcher and you don't have an abundance of those. The way I operate with lefty pitchers is keep them til I find a better one (potential and stage of development in that order of importance).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
We'll see Newtman... I'm new to the game. All I can say is my predecessor had a lot of speedy guys with 13 or 14 POT, and a team batting average around .200.

The guy we're discussing already has 9s for Hitting and BC, so he should be a fine there. He has a decent review for POW and a really good review for fielding; both of those are really low right now, which means a lot of the POT is going to go there. Means PD is a big question mark. The guy is going to be a good player no doubt, but he could end up being one of those 100+ K batters. It just seems dangerous to just look at SI to me. I picked Sergio Muniz up off waivers despite having crappy POT, because his strengths aligned well with his Repertoire. Like I said, brand new to the game, so I'm a noob, but I would expect the game engine to take that sort of stuff into account. I'd rather have a guy who can get on base and not steal, then a guy who could steal if he could ever get on base. My team was full of the latter when I took over at the end of the season.
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock, while speed does help, the problem with your assessment is on defense. Speed affects range to some extent, but with all poor defenders you can't win. When I inherited this team it was full of great hitters and absolutely horrid defenders. And than I made moves to "money ball" it and picked up big hitting old guys that can't field. We hit well, but when you give up 4 errors a game that all lead to runs you can't win here. Heck, last season my team should have dominated in tier 6, but my defense at ss and CF was bad. I picked up light hitting players in both spots that had great gloves and saw my team turn around.

This game is much easier to win 1-0 than 7-6. Defense is a premium. Don't neglect it.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Drafted this guy: http://brokenbat.org/player/9702097020
TheBaconator

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Drafted this dude. Because I don't have enough middle-of-the-pack Hispanic catchers already.
sjmay

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
New here, but looking to learn,

Drafted this guy,

http://brokenbat.org/player/95872

Any thoughts, what should I be looking at vs what I think I should be looking at, especially when drafting etc?
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/95872 Roy Banks

Not much there
His lack of control is worrisome
His defensive skills are too high to be of use for a P
I figure an average SP in the lower leagues
Maybe a couple good seasons, if he's lucky to keep in check his W rate

I project him as
Vel, Mov, Sta around 14-15
Cnt below 10
SI 95-100

Useful, but there's better players out there
sjmay

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks, now how do you go about getting your projections etc?
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
You can figure the player's skills by reckoning his Potential, which is the "overall" ability, and the description in words, which only tells us about some of the skills.
For those skills not stated, you gotta infer the number from the data you possess

You can look to other posts for the correspondence between descriptions and actual values.
For instance, unhittable means Velocity >18
Great hitter, hitting >18
And so on

Previous Page | Show All |