Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Guy with 131 waiver claims   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I know I'd love to have him, but I could use anyone with a pulse and a cheap salary to eat innings in the bullpen. I really don't want to have to overpay for mediocre bullpen again this year.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
While I don't understand what the Bronx Yankees are up to (it's definitely not salary reduction; the guy is at the league minimum), I think every manager has the right to ruin his team any way he wants. If someone acquires a team purely for manipulation, to throw its players on the market for another team to pick them up, the waiver system would still make sure everyone else has the same chances to get them. I just don't see any harm for anyone else. Why regulate something that does no harm?
TheBaconator

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That moment when you realized you bid on three products of the Bronx fire sale without even realizing it.

It's kind of like a reverse New York Yankees situation...
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Another possibility would to have a limit on total claims each club could win each season. Maybe twenty or twenty-five? I say win because, under this system, I think a team should be able to withdraw any claim as long as the deadline hadn't passed. In the case of our 131 claim pitcher, you'd be able to withdraw your claim once it got ridiculously high like that. Under that sort of system, a team owner would have to make shrewder decisions about who to target and it would also spawn some interesting "chicken" style confrontations where you'd have to hope everybody else withdraws while you stay in to the bitter end.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
And he ends up with a Legends league team... well, probably, there, he distorts the competition the least.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
A problem is that claiming someone "costs" nothing, even if you cut him 5 minutes after the claim.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
And why is that a problem?
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Problem is that you can put 100 speculative claims, because you don't risk nothing* even if you win and then release them as a whole.
An owner who has fewer needs/slots, maybe puts 1 or 2 claims and in most cases lost them, because of small % of success.

Little penalty => less claims
Less claims => more % success

*: even in terms of fan mood, for instance. I'm not talking about direct economical penalties.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Everyone else can put in 100 speculative claims as well, and if you release a player again, he's back on the market. What's the problem?
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's just my opinion. What's the problem?

Previous Page | Show All |