Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Getting real tired of my pitchers being destroyed by bad teams   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hm, my two cents worth... Late April really isn't the moment to hit the panic button on individual starters. Except for Owen, they have each just played three league games. Three possible reasons:
1. They might not be as good as you think.
2. They might be better than the small sample indicates.
3. They might get killed by subpar position players.
I would pretty much rule out 1. I would gladly trade for Owen and Carrasco to play them in league III, if I could. The other two you could keep, but they should at least be decent in VI.
There is a lot to be said for 2, especially in Whitaker's case. His career HR/9 is 0.96, so at age 30, the only reason for him to have allowed three HR in 16 innings is bad luck (since we have no undiagnosed partially torn UCLs or labrums in bb). His BB/9 are up and his K/9 nearly cut in half from last season - that's pretty hard to make up for. For the three others, their FIP components are stable if not improved. They just give up more hits, so it's probably worth taking a look at your fielding and hypothesis 3.
I know we've had this discussion before, but the least I have to say is that 18% of base stealers caught are not helping your ERAs. I definitely wouldn't play Bailey behind the plate - in fact, I wouldn't play Bailey, period. Your 2B and SS aren't exactly gold glovers. Morris is getting old, too, and moving from 3B to 2B at age 31 can't have made his life easier. Your corners look OK. I love Reilly, although he never got a lot of DPs - not his fault, probably. Since Juarez knows how to play the infield already, I'd probably let him mature in the outfield, rather than put his undeveloped fielding at 2B. He can't be any worse in the outfield corners than the fossils you're running out there now, and his cannon of an arm should play nicely in RF.
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There is no doubt my defense isn't helping the situation, but it isn't changed from last year. I'm going to heed advice where I can. It can't hurt. I've moved a C back behind the plate and I finally got a waiver claim for a sure gloved OF to get one of my terrible OF out. I'm hesitant to take Bennett out right now. He is raking. Though the guy I have at dh right now isn't playing like he should and I could move him there. Maybe I should just stick Juarez in of and sit bailey.

And my ss/2b situation I'd love to fix, but at the moment it's the best I've got. I've contimplated Juarez at ss as he can't seem to do worse than my under prefoming ss I run out now. I'm still a few seasons away from a potential minor league replacement for any IF spot.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I didn't want to sound patronizing - just ran a bit of the analysis I would on my own players in the same situation. And, yes, I know good catchers and middle infielders are about the hardest thing to find on the scrap heap...
Main point is, you have two excellent pitchers and two decent ones. They will do their job eventually.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
And if it's any consolation: Maurice Owens, just 30 but seven years on my team with a career ERA of 3.63, currently sits at 8.35 after four league starts, three of them disasters. K and BB are unchanged from last year, but the hits have almost doubled. Fortunately the rest of my rotation have started the season with guns blazing...
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I didnt feel patronized at all. I made this thread half to vent and half for feedback. I made some changes and will keep hitting that waiver wire for middle infield (as will everyone else).

One more thing to you, and anyone else. Ill take anyones opinion to heart.
Enrique Juarez Should I try to convert him to the OF where his arm should shine, and he is less likely to bumble up plays learning the new position, or should I convert him to SS where his value is probably highest, but he will probably be a train wreck this year and probably for the year after too (without lucky training pops). Or just leave him a 2B, not worry about new position, and have one middle infield spot locked up for a few seasons (I realize his current fielding stat means he will make me want to pull my hair out there too).
TheBaconator

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I also have a slumping Canadian player named Phil Owen. Perhaps they are brothers?

Updated Wednesday, August 20 2014 @ 3:44:46 pm PDT
TheBaconator

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Seriously, though, they could just be in a slump at the beginning of the year. An outfielder I have is hitting amazing. His Overall is 81.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
He'd have to learn SS from scratch, meaning he'll make a lot of mistakes for the next season or so. That's also the time he'll probably need to get his fielding skill up. On the other hand, he can learn the position, and there he'd be most valuable. At 2B his arm is wasted, and at 3B, he just won't field that much. On the other hand, those are the positions he knows how to play, and he won't forget that if he plays right field for a year, where positional experience is less important and his still subpar fielding won't matter that much. I would do that now and see how your AA infielder develops and what infielder you can get from waivers in the meantime. Then get rid of Morris (will be toast after the next age update and) decide if you convert Juarez to SS or improvise there and keep him at a position he already knows.

Updated Wednesday, August 20 2014 @ 3:48:23 pm PDT
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I keep forgetting g I have an infielder in aa. I think I like your assessment of juarez. Hopefully he can be a solid CF in 2 seasons. I thank you for the assistance.
Peekay

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
IMO Juarez doesn't have the range (won't improve) to be a CF long term.

Having said that with that arm he could be a solid RF (talking fielding skills only).

Previous Page | Show All |