Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> matches and simulation speed   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Actually, the replacement slots were a later addition to give managers the possibility to set a backup instead of letting the game engine choose the replacement. So much for your thoughts on the intended method of play.

Anyway, we're just talking here about a 12 day stretch in a 75 day season. If 1 extra game for each inter-league series (they're 12, not 10, btw) is not a deal breaker to you, 12 extra days shouln't be a deal breaker as well.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Except that adding 12 days makes it 87 days from 75. That is a 16% increase to the length of the season.

I completely agree with Seca on this.
cbstatic

North El Dorado Pay Dirt
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Holmes Mentioned
"One chance I see about having shorter series (or at least less games in one day) is to get rid of the annoying off days when the last 4 or 8 out of 756 are playing their cup games that nobody else cares about. Since there seems to be little support for getting rid of the cup as a whole, cup games could at least be scheduled at a different time on days with league games, getting more (real life) days for the league."

I am all for that... Having the cup games roughly 12 hours after the league games, then league games 21 hours after the cup, thus getting rid of the day off if you are out of the cup.

Another thought would be to schedule maybe 2 extended spring training games on cup day for the teams that have been eliminated from the cup. This way everyone has something to look foward to daily.

"The backup issue is much easier to address, I think, at least its main point: If we could set the same player as 3B and backup SS (with the rule that backup roles take precedent over regular roles), at least the problem mentioned above could be solved."

I think allowing a team to place a starter as a backup in a different position would solve the issues for those who do not have an opportunity to adjust their lineups between games or promote a player from the minor league as a replacement.

Updated Friday, August 1 2014 @ 6:43:35 pm PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
"The backup issue is much easier to address, I think, at least its main point: If we could set the same player as 3B and backup SS (with the rule that backup roles take precedent over regular roles), at least the problem mentioned above could be solved."

I think allowing a team to place a starter as a backup in a different position would solve the issues for those who do not have an opportunity to adjust their lineups between games or promote a player from the minor league as a replacement.

Hmmm...is the answer to have backup roles take precedence over starting assignments or should positions be filled in order of defensive difficulty: SS, C, 2B, CF, 3B, RF, LF, 1B, DH...or something like that?

The other issue is when player A assumes the starting role for player B -- what if player A was batting 3rd, but player B isn't really a very good hitter and you'd like him to be moved down in the order.

Steve

Updated Friday, August 1 2014 @ 8:57:53 pm PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Pacing in a game like this is tricky. If you move too slow, people lose interest. If you move too quickly, people don't get invested in their teams. There is no pace that is perfect for everyone.

I'm glad some people recognize this. I have played a number of online sports games: hattrick, buzzerbeater, RZA, Grid-Iron, sokker and quite a few more. I have tried to pick a season length in real days that I thought worked best.

My experience has been that in most other games, the majority of teams are out of it at some point during the season. So I didn't want to make the season stretch out too much.

Also, a couple of games have playoffs (involving only a few teams) that seem to go on for weeks. If you don't make the playoffs, you have a real hiatus. I've tried to make the playoffs a relatively short span of time so that the 83% of the teams not in the playoffs aren't waiting for too long.

Finally, Broken Bat is a game that very much depends on developing talent in your farm system. If the seasons were longer, it would be that much longer before youngster would be contributing players.

Steve
cbstatic

North El Dorado Pay Dirt
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
I think having the backup player (someone that was in the starting lineup) replace the injured players position (SS, 2B or ???) is what they are asking for.

He would then be replaced by his backup.

Yes, I can see the issue with someone batting at a lineup position he may not be suited for. But I think they are more worried about having a certain person in the lineup vice batting out of position in the line up.

I am not sure if people would want the manager adjusting the lineup order.
Den Duston

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I am not sure if people would want the manager adjusting the lineup order.

hehehe I think people wouldn't want this option.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with cb on the backup taking precedence idea, as I actually had my lineup set-up this way my first season before I realized it didn't work that way. I care far more about who is getting positional experience and at bats than which order they come in, and while I prefer to set the order, the managers have proven incompetent enough that I prefer they not be allowed to mess with the presets.
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Cup play-off days may suck for some people once they're out of the competition, but having both cup and league series in the same day sucks even more if you're still in it. So that's a "no, thank you" from me.

Having teams playing spring training like matches in cup days once you're out of it gives teams out of the cup an unfair training advantage. That's another "no, thank you" from me, unless teams in the cup could set their spring training line-ups as well and play both competitions at the same time.

Speaking of Spring Training, if extending the length of the season 12 more days is too much, then, as a trade off, maybe Spring Training matches could be played 4 matches per day, instead of 2 matches per day. This way the season would only have to be stretched for 7 more days. That's only a 9% increase.

I've just realized that the 5 match series could be converted into 3 match and 4 match series (2 matches with 2 different teams). That's only 6 more days, and combined with the spring training squeeze, that would add only 1(!) more day to the current season. That's nothing. This could be done.

Updated Saturday, August 2 2014 @ 2:05:37 pm PDT
solace36

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Since this thread is about scheduling I'll ask question.

In 2 ST games we played games against a league opponent. Not only a league opponent, but a division rival. Should there be something in the scheduling that might prevent that from happening? A nice part of ST games is the enjoyment of playing different teams in various leagues both above and below your league.

Previous Page | Show All |