Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Sabermtrics   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Snookbone

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah but my closer is called "Case", I had to! How could I pass up such an opportunity for a pun?! He's very effective as what he does though, so I'm conflicted. I might rethink this. Closers aren't as effective as traditionally thought, but in a nod to Bill I do bring him in earlier than most closers.

I think however that a balance is needed between traditional concepts and moneyball in this game. I tipped my team over the edge into collapse this season trying to get too cute when I was in a prime position to promote, and to do so convincingly.

yanksfan13

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How do you have your bullpen set up, Seca? I saw that you didn't have a closer and was wondering how you've been getting your best guy into the highest leverage situations.

I have a closer in name only who has a high hook and a first inning of 6.
Optics

Santa Monica Carp
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Can you go with no closer? Does that help?

Updated Friday, July 18 2014 @ 8:03:24 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
You don't want to know about my bullpen. It's all pain and shame. And fire. Maybe a little brimstone.

Yes you can go w/o a closer. Kind of a bullpen by committee. But as Yanks said, you can use the role and inning entry to still do the "relief ace" idea.

James' thought was that you wanted to use you strongest relief pitcher in the opportunity where he had the most value. Ie., your best pitcher is probably more valuable in the 7th inning tied than in the 9th up 3. You see lots of major league managers do that come playoff time.
ReekyLeek

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have my setup pitcher setup for 7th inning and closer for 8th. This has worked magically as they both have ERAs in the 1s. Setup has a 17-1 record in 60+ games, 100+ innings and closer has 52 saves in 55 opportunities, no losses. They're often in the game for multiple innings and that hasn't effected their performance.
yanksfan13

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That would definitely be the way to go if you've got 2 studs in the bullpen, Reekyleek. Not everyone has that luxury.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Hehe. I'd say South Thunder Bay has one ace and one over-achiever. I would not have expected those kind of numbers from Reyes.

I have one strong reliever. http://brokenbat.org/player/63110 I started the season with him designated as the closer. He did fairly well at it, but we were in tough. I looked at IP ~1/4 of the way through the season and he was last. Seemed like poor usage of arguably my best pitcher.

Despite his 7 stamina I moved him to the starting rotation (75 pitch limit) to get some innings out of him. He did magnificent. But the bullpen completely fell apart w/o him. (This is when my team started our doom spiral from 4th to 6th, never to recover).

Eventually settled on what I have now. Garcia is the lone set-up guy. No closer. He frequently enters games in the 6-7 inning with runners on and the game close - when I really want my best pitcher in the game. He will sometimes hit his pitch count b/f the game ends and someone else finishes up. So be it. Might help keep Garcia's salary down. ;)

Grain of salt tho. I'm finishing up a 100 loss season. Everyone's situation is different.
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
On my team I try to value OBP above batting average, power or speed. Just the general idea that the more guys I can get on base the more runs I will score.

As for a closer I am using a guy who has enough stamina to be a starting pitcher I set to come in as early as the 6th or 7th. In 63 games this year he has 108IP and 43 saves. He routinely has 2 or 3 inning saves. If I manage his settings a little better next season I think I can get even more innings out of him. Basically my thought is that I want my best relief pitcher to throw as may relief innings as possible when I have a close lead.

Curtis P
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
On my team I try to value OBP above batting average, power or speed. Just the general idea that the more guys I can get on base the more runs I will score.

As for a closer I am using a guy who has enough stamina to be a starting pitcher I set to come in as early as the 6th or 7th. In 63 games this year he has 108IP and 43 saves. He routinely has 2 or 3 inning saves. If I manage his settings a little better next season I think I can get even more innings out of him. Basically my thought is that I want my best relief pitcher to throw as may relief innings as possible when I have a close lead.

Curtis P
ReekyLeek

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Definitely but he's been over achieving for 2 seasons now. As he was my closer last season while my current closer was just brought up to be a mr for the experience. So I guess I just lucked out with getting him. But as for relief pitchers, my system players aren't ready to be called up so I've simply gotten old expendable pitchers. If they don't perform I release them and bring in another player. It's just about knowing what role to give them in the bullpen.

Previous Page | Show All |