Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Discussion on Injures   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
KB

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm a pretty new player and will be happy to see the addition of injuries - even catastrophic injuries, as helpful to the challenge of the game. Injuries change the dynamics of real teams, of course, and no one likes the loss of a player but it's a fact of the game and I'm sure will eventually make Broken Bat more fun and realistic.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks KB...working on the implementation now.

Steve
Minnie Miñoso

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Just signed on, so feel free to ignore me. I would tie injuries to a "durability" rating + how hard you push the player. If you are Dusty Baker and send your young rookie pitching phenom out for 120 innings for 20 games in a row, his arm falls off. If you let Justin Verlander pitch 250 innings in one season, nothing happens. If you don't give Lance Berkman a day off once in a while, he breaks down, if you never give Cal Ripken a day off not much happens. Chase Utley gets hurt no matter what you do. Looks good, can't wait to get started.
Paul_G

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think if we're gonna have injuries, we have to be able to sign more than one player a week, or have the ability to create young players in our minor league systems very easily.

A situation where I'm having to play a guy out of position at shortstop because both my starter and backup are out for a while, while there are 800 unemployed shortstops out there, seems kinda silly.

IMO the finances and signing processes should be the first things updated. It's the core of the game - everything else is tied into these two things.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
@ Minnie Miñoso

I think injuries will be affected by something like a player durability factor. Also considering increased injuries due to overwork/high pitch counts.

@ Paul_G

Actually, I think a 30 man roster is really generous (25 is usually the major league limit, but they have a disabled list). I think people overestimate the penalty for playing a man out-of-position. Additionally, it will give some value to the time honored role of utility man.

Steve
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

I think people overestimate the penalty for playing a man out-of-position.

i'm curious. take 3rd base for example...
does that mean an outfielder with very high fielding/range/arm (17/17/17) would be as good there as an average fielding (11/9/9) veteran? (meaning a veteran with full experience at the position... capital "3B" by their name)

i've tried an outfielder with good defensive skills (solid, not elite) at another infield position, 2b, for a little while... seems worse than i thought actually. he would be on pace to set the major league record for errors by a 2b(were he in the majors) the way he started out.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
That is hard to quantify, because it’s not just errors. For a third basemen, fielding is important (results in fewer errors), but range and arm to a lesser degree also lead to more outs. So even if his errors are high (in the beginning), he may be making a lot more plays in the field.

Let me just say this…eventually his experience at 3B will improve and eventually he will be a much better third basemen than the guys with moderate defensive skills.

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Just to update everyone….I think when injuries kick in next season, substitute players will initially be selected much like a pinch hitters or defensive replacements are selected today in the game engine. I’m simulating the logic right now and it doing a pretty good job of selecting the “best” player for the job.

Longer term, we need to come up with better logic for substitute selection as well as manager control of pinch hitter and other types of player switches.

Steve
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
one of my players are injured...i checked back to see which game he got injured in...

in one game...he played...he was actually the very last batter...no mention of how he got injured...the next game...he just didn't play and has the + beside his name...is it not programmed in to say how the injury happens?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Injures actually happen after the game is over, so he'll never leave a game injured, but he'll missed the next game or so afterwards.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |