Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Stats!   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
thebuzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Since were working a bit in BrokenBat on stat display, I would mention that the defensive fielding stats mean little without attempts. Example: Pitcher has 4 fielding errors, is that good or bad? Not bad maybe if he had 150 plays on the ball. Terrible if he had 5 attempts.

While were on that subject, I really would look into pitchers being to much a part of infield play. Pop-up's to the pitcher just don't happen as often as they do in the game. The pitcher is the last infielder who would take pop-ups and oh..also, they generally are not the infielder being awarded "Golden Gloves".
MrTwoPlums

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you bring up the tool-tips over batting averages and fielding percents, it shows you the information you're looking for.
Also, pitchers are awarded Gold Gloves in both leagues just like every other fielding position.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Does the hover feature not provide you with more details on fielding attempts, errors etc.?

The game engine has been adjusted since the start of the season so that pitchers get fewer fielding attempts. However, the defensive statistics for this season will reflect much of the time when pitchers were still getting a large number of attempts every game.

Steve

Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Before the hover was added, you could get a pretty good estimate of total chances by calculating ... approx TC = errors / (1 - fielding pct)
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I really appreciate these changes; simpler yet more comprehensive at the same time - thanks
thebuzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Does the hover feature not provide you with more details on fielding attempts, errors etc.?

The game engine has been adjusted since the start of the season so that pitchers get fewer fielding attempts.

Hover works great. I as crackit posted above appreciate the changes.

Regarding game engine changes:
Could/should they be logged with a link to engine changes since season start? Assume your current decision making gave more credence to a fielding pitcher. Few weeks back the steal attempts were altered. Prior to that the bunts were adjusted. I am currently of the belief attendance has also been altered. Wouldn't it be fair to allow all players access to this information rather than a few who learn about it on a board post after the fact?

Personally, I dislike changes during a season that is ongoing. It will favor some and hinder others unknowingly. This definitely upsets the balance a knowledgeable player started the season with. Really no different than stopping a game in the middle of the 5th and changing baseball rules for the rest of the game. Game engine changes are a necessary function of improving the overall game play, that I think is a given. But, they are best implemented at season end, so proper adjustments to the engine change can be made by a player prior to the start of a new season.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
There has been minimal functional changes to the game engine. Aside from tuning the stealing opportunities, the other changes have been fixes to the game summary reporting and statistics accounting:

Pitching fielding was not a change to the functioning of the game engine, but rectified a fielding statistics accounting issue.

Attendance has not changed.

Erroneous base running reporting was cleaned up.

The bunting and hit & run changes were made prior to the regular season start.

The stealing code has been tweaked. Because of the changes to hit & run, stealing dropped off considerably. We have tuned the stealing algorithm twice to try to equalize steal opportunities to previous season and MLB norms.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |