Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> How old?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Fairly certain he/she intended to type "confuses".

As far as I can tell, you can only get training for 4 years at a particular level. Means you are going Tonya Harding on anyone less than 24 yrs old (or near their cap) playing in the majors.

Probably won't find many other teams that young.

Updated Tuesday, May 20 2014 @ 5:04:12 am PDT
Coach Tate McCoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The Tonya Harding thing is a bit lost on me, sorry. Figure skater. Is that a good thing? Hope so.

Updated Tuesday, May 20 2014 @ 5:38:12 am PDT
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Tonya Harding was a superstar at age 17 and over the hill at 21. Her last bit of success was at age 24 - because her husband had paid someone to assault her main opponent. It means that you're sending kids into competition that just aren't mature enough yet, burning their long-term potential.
Looking at your players, that's true for about two thirds of your roster. Guys like Brown, Zwart, Valencia and, especially, high-potentials like Shaw or Felix should be given time to develop in the minors before you throw them into the fire. The recommendations on the Roster->Reassign page are there for a reason.
Players like Moss, Gil or Stone you can't ruin because they have not much potential to waste, anyway. I'd just give them the boot. There are always plenty of free agents out there that play better than they ever will.
Shannon and Watson are the only two of your players I would put on a major league roster at this point. (It says Watson is overmatched in the majors, too, but he has so little room for improvement at age 24 that I'd just use him and hope that the experience helps him to add those last few steps.)
Coach Tate McCoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh dear, what the Frigg? I won't be following in her footsteps then.
Is it official then? My team is screwed?
I'm sure I read somewhere that theres no substitute for match experience. Surely they will still train too?
Shoot me now.
MrTwoPlums

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
While I've never actually tried playing anyone less than AAA myself, I don't think you have to worry about them losing potential if you play A or AA guys. They will stink for awhile, but I do believe this will actually help them achieve their full potential (which may or may not be what's listed) earlier without hurting anything in the long run.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this Steve.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The reason I suggested that putting guys in the majors too soon might leave them short of their potential is these two guys.

http://brokenbat.org/player/70417
http://brokenbat.org/player/70940

Both came up to the majors in their teens, and both have the "doesn't have room for improvement" message despite their SI being 3 bars short of their potential, and being 23 and 24 yrs respectively. Makes me think players have a certain maximum number of trainings per level.

Just a theory. Could be very wrong, and appreciate the correction if so.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Seca, at the moment I can't find any posts from Steve to contradict what you're suggesting, however this is something that I really don't think we've had any indication about previously. I can't explain what happened with your players, but I wouldn't assume that's true.
Coach Tate McCoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well I'll take that "Youngest Team" award an run with it. I can say I've won something then. If it actually existed that is.
Cheers.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I can't take credit for those 2 players Geech. :) Saw them on the waiver wire.

The theory is pulled from the air. :P Haven't seen any documentation suggesting training is limited by anything other than potential and age.

Those 2 players would still seem to be a cautionary tale about promoting extremly early.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I can't take credit for those 2 players Geech. :) Saw them on the waiver wire.

The theory is pulled from the air. :P Haven't seen any documentation suggesting training is limited by anything other than potential and age.

Those 2 players would still seem to be a cautionary tale about promoting extremly early.

Previous Page | Show All |