Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Earned runs   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
billy123

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As someone relativly new to baseball in general, can anyone shed light in how runs were allocated as runs/earned runs in the game below

http://brokenbat.org/game/1228255

It looks to me like Cobb should have 5 earned runs?
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I had a look because I am learning too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earned_run

In baseball, an earned run is any run that was not necessarily enabled by a fielding error or a passed ball. In other words, an unearned run is one that would not have been scored without the aid of an error or a passed ball committed by the defense, and an earned run is simply one that is not unearned. An error made by the pitcher in fielding at his position is counted the same as an error by any other player.

Top 1st: Eugene
Gotou hits a home run to left field (1 runs, 1 ER).

Top 2nd: Eugene
Cummings hits a home run to center field (2 R, 2 ER).
Jenkins hits a double to right field.
Noble hits a single to center field on a hit and run. Jenkins comes in to score (3 R, 3ER).
Walker hits a double to left field. Noble advances to third base.
Gross reaches on an error by first baseman Richardson. Noble comes in to score (unearned - 4 R, 3 ER because of the error). Walker advances to third base.
Rivera strikes out.
Gotou strikes out.
Tate hits a home run to center field (earned). Walker comes in to score (unearned because of the error). Gross comes in to score (earned because of the error).

I need someone to help with this. 6 H 7 R and 3 ER were recorded against Cobb, but I initially made it four earned runs.

Gotou, Cummings and Tate all hit home runs

Jenkins got round on a double and a single

But then...

To determine whether a run is earned, the official scorer must reconstruct the inning as it would have occurred without the errors (for purposes of this rule, the "errors" also include passed balls). The benefit of the doubt is always given to the pitcher in determining which bases would have been reached by errorless play.

Gross, Noble and Walker all scored but benefited from the error:
  • Gross wouldn't have got on base without the error
  • Noble wouldn't have scored without the error, but
  • Walked moved from second to third on the error, but would have scored anyway on Tate's homerun

I am of the same opinion that this should be five earned runs

Good job beating Thunder Bay though
billy123

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Great work! Having now had another look, is it that after the error happened, there were 2 x strike outs. But if the error had been an out instead, then all runs scored after it wouldn't have happened? So any runs scored after the error are then unearned?
Tv4IE

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yup billy is correct, thanks to those two K's that followed the error, all runs after are considered unearned (even the homerun)

Think about it this way errors usually should have been outs.After those K's the inning should have been over.

Maybe uaually,I'm not quite sure if brokenbat has throwing errors with the batter being credited with the hit.(when a batter hits a single but advances to second on the throwing error)
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
OK got it, thanks. You are right the innings should have been over.

Learn something new...

Previous Page | Show All |